Earth Connnections on Twin and Earth

Sponsored Links
Deryck Tintagel said:
When wiring socket rings or lighting circuits is it normal to twist the supply earths together?
yes, it gives a more reliable earth connection, but its not a reg

Just a pain in the a** when you are carrying out a test.... :mad:

:LOL: Echo il78's comment. If you don't carry out testing you will not know how irritating it is
7_mad.gif
. Don't put them in the same earth sleeve and don't twist them together, if you double all of your ends over it will be just as strong and durable connection.

Sponsored Links
ah well i always do when putting in jnboxes for low voltage lighting transformers does this mean i will go to hell? lol :eek:

I think I'll start soldering mine :evil:

But seriously - testing is summat I know nothing about, so I'm v. curious. If you've got 2 earth wires going into a socket, and clamped under the same screw, what difference does it make if they're twisted together first?

Are there tests you do where you remove the sockets?

when testing for ring continuity (of each pair) you would need to untwist them

I ought to go off and read up on this (not to become an DIY tester, I hasten to add :LOL: ), rather than keep using up your time asking you questions, as I can't see how any of the continuity tests done at the distribution boards would be affected by cables being twisted together for an inch or so before going into the socket terminals.

Is it that this practice would make a poor, or non-existent earth connection at a socket invisible to continuity testing? But wouldn't that then show up on the long-lead tests at each socket?

you miss understand, you dont want them twisted because you have to untwist them (only one) to check the coninuity of each loop . How else would you know its a ring? it may look like a ring but how do you know

You're right - I've completely misunderstood. :oops:

Definitely a case of RTFQ.

For some reason I thought the question was about twisting wires together at the sockets.

I have no plausible explanation for this mistake.

It's blindingly obvious that you wouldn't want the wires twisted at the CU.

I'll get my coat, then......

Best take a scarf and gloves aswell....its cold outside :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back