Earth Fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was extending the ring circuit in my daughters flat recently, the system has the old metal conduit with red and black wires inside. When checking out the system, I noticed that I was getting 250v between the red wire and the metal conduit. I went back to the consumer unit, and with the isolator off, I still get 250v from the incoming red, before the switch, and the earth. Is this a fault, or is it normal in older systems.

Sponsored Links
Not clear re 240V measured. After isolator turned off, supply neutal and live is disconnected from house wiring. Only earth continues. However power wiring needs complete replacement with oval 2.5mm Twin & Earth cable. Although conduit should be earthed it should not be relied on to earth equipment. Essential you have an earth leakage circuit breaker at consumer unit to protect houseowner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back