earth leakage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone tell me what earth leakage is pls? apparently its this that causes my friends RCD to keep tripping when the dishwasher is turned on? he also said to me that its been ok for the last 6 weeks???

Sponsored Links
Didn't you raise this question already?

Yes you did.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38167&highlight=dishwasher+rcd

Earth leakage is when the electrickery in your machine, which should be tightly wrapped up in insulation so it can't get out, creeps out into the parts where it shouldn't be, for example the metal casing of a dishwasher. All being well, the casing will be earthed so that the electricity can be carried away without hurting you. If enough gets out it can give you a shock, if even more gets out it might do you a lot of damage, especially in a room with lots of water and metal in it.

The RCD detects when this is happening and cuts the power so quickly that you won't be hurt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back