earth to a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, quick question about earthing my new shed. Im using 10mm2 SWA, buried. The house has TNCS supply. The shed is about 15 metres away. What are the regs about exporting this earth to my shed? Do i need to have an earth rod at the shed? I want to be doing things right here, since the current shed has a single socket fed from a 20A MCB int he house with 2.5mm cable under paving slabs :rolleyes: (not my work) cheers

Sponsored Links
can you summarise that for my situation please? that document is a bit long winded. What is the norm for my situation (done properly)! What is safest?

hey! supplychain is a doncaster company! :D :D hurray for doncaster!

Assuming SWA
Use house earth to protect the cable armour, but at destination, fit RCD as first pbject in L and N, and downstream of RCD use an earth rderived gfrom a local rod, and not connected to the cable armour.
In the shed sleeve over the cable armour, if exposed, as it should be considered as potentially live.
But, please test the earth rod, and aim for a Ze of 100 ohms or less.

Sponsored Links
using a rod can be a better option for outbuildings from houses with PME supplies. but rods absoloutely MUST be tested. Occasionally you find soil that is pretty much an insulator.

crafty1289 said:
can you summarise that for my situation please? that document is a bit long winded. What is the norm for my situation (done properly)!
Sorry mate - if you can't be *rsed to read a few pages of vital information then you have no business attempting to do anything with electricity except use it.

What is safest?
Getting someone in who is interested enough in knowing how to do it properly.

ok, ban. I will be running the circuits in the shed, and connecting the sockets etc, to the shed consumer unit, but i will leave the earthing and SWA terminating arrangements to someone who has the tools to do it and can test it etc.

And that document goes on mainly about swimming pools and changing rooms, things that have no real relevance to my situation. And it doesnt answer my original question - do i need an earth rod? But thanks to other kind souls on here, i now have a straight answer :rolleyes: I will be leaving the earthing arrangements to a qualified spark though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back