Earth Wire from Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, there is an earth wire coming from the bottom of my Consumer Unit which and bonded to a dead steel gas pipe sticking up in the floor in my porch. The other legs of the gas pipe are all cut off at floor level and tiled/cemented over. I want to cut this gas pipe to floor level and tile over it. It will also sit behind a new plaster board wall face.

What is the earthing wire for? and does it need to remain, can I remove it/get it removed?

If not can I bond the earth wire to say 1" of the old pipe above floor level behind the new plaster board wall face?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would say that as it is a steel gas pipe coming into your property it needs to be main bonded.

Blup

If you cut it off to stop it coming into your property - so no one can touch it, then it will not require bonding.

Strictly speaking, you should bond the pipe in the ground while you cut off the piece above it - or switch off the electricity.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, you should bond the pipe in the ground while you cut off the piece above it - or switch off the electricity.
In real terms often you can't switch off the PEN, so the switching off is simply not possible, but one would need to be very unlucky to loose the PEN at the time your cutting the pipe, I would just wear gloves.

I didn't specify that this leg of the pipe is internal only. The other leg to the mains was cut off when they installed new gas supply in the street and new meter in a different place.

Thanks this is what I needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back