earthing 16th// 17th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Im hoping one of you guys can help me out.

Im having my plasterer/ tiler come over tomorrow to fill in all the areas where my plumber has run all the water pipework in my downstairs shower room.

I read that the 16th edition required you to take the earthing for the pipework from the lighting

I have forgotten to get in my electrician to come in and earth the pipework.
Upon further reading and speaking to a guy in B n Q, you are no longer required to have to earth your pipework under 17th edition.

Am i correct in saying this? Can my tiler/plasterer go ahead with bonding all the walls and potentially start tiling?

thank you again

Sponsored Links
The change is to bonding rather than earthing. You no longer have to apply supplemental bonding to all the pipework and electrics within the shower room. Provided you can prove that the pipework is continuous metal to a position elsewhere that is bonded. You should test this rather than just guessing, but the upshot is that you won't usually have to do any extra "earthing" of your pipes.

This posting is also duplicated in the Electrics forum where more information is being discussed.

The change is to bonding rather than earthing. You no longer have to apply supplemental bonding to all the pipework and electrics within the shower room. Provided you can prove that the pipework is continuous metal to a position elsewhere that is bonded. You should test this rather than just guessing, but the upshot is that you won't usually have to do any extra "earthing" of your pipes.

think youll find theres a little bit more to it,like having to be rcd protected. ;)

Sponsored Links
There's quite a bit more to it, but nothing that shouldn't be in place on fairly recent electrics. If this is discussed in the Electrics forum then I bet you'll have more details than you can shake a stick at :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back