Earthing cable running through kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A few days ago I posted a question regarding some earth bonding work that was recently carried out at my home. The question was about bonding to the main incoming earth.

Today I have noticed that the cable which bonds to the water main has been run through the interior of two cupboards (a food cupboard and the cupboard under the sink), rather than the service void that exists behind the cupboards.

When I was initially shown the work, the cupboards were full and I could only see that the wire attached to the stop cock and appeared to run along the service void.

Having emptied the cupboards today, it is apparent that the contractor has run the cable inside the cupboard for the majority of the route (as shown by the attached pictures).

There is access to the side of the service void (although it is enclosed with a wooden panel). It would have been somewhat fiddly to drill a hole and feed the cable, but possible.

I suppose this is not immediately dangerous, because it is not a live cable, but it strikes me as a shortcut and as poor workmanship.

I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on whether this was at all acceptable.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
On the one hand, that's not bad workmanship, he's even clipped the cable neatly.

On the other hand, cables should not be fixed to furniture, and it means that the bonding will have to be removed if the kitchen units ever have to come out, which is very bad forward planning and so poor workmanship.

The upside is the cable is visible.

On the one hand, that's not bad workmanship, he's even clipped the cable neatly. ... On the other hand, cables should not be fixed to furniture, and it means that the bonding will have to be removed if the kitchen units ever have to come out, which is very bad forward planning and so poor workmanship.
Valid point, but, given that the holes are right at the back of the side panels, if the the units ever have to be removed, it will probably only be necessary to knock the back panels (probably 3mm hardboard or mdf!) off in order to 'free' the cable, without needing to disturb or replace the cable.

Kind Regards, John

We all love having to scramble about on our hands a knees, feeding cables behind kitchen units, removing kickers that will likely never go back right or come off undamaged, often filthy and greasy areas and then having to poke the cable through a tiny hole.

Sponsored Links
We all love having to scramble about on our hands a knees, feeding cables behind kitchen units, removing kickers that will likely never go back right or come off undamaged, often filthy and greasy areas and then having to poke the cable through a tiny hole.
Quite so!

Kind Regards, John

As hinted at, usually plenty of voids below and behind the base cupboards.

Bit rubbish, but done now.

Did he scrape the paint off the pipe before fitting the clamp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back