Earthing fluorescent lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the fluorescent lamps require earthing? The problem is that the lighting circuit ( only two fluorescent lamps) trips the RCD when the lamps are earthed. When the earth leads are removed the RCD does not trip.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the lamps themselves will not need earthing, but the fittings may well, depending on how they are designed and whether they are plastic/metal. If there are earth leads to a designated earth terminal in the fitting then that is likely to mean they do need earthing.

Fittings that do not need earthing (and in fact should NOT be earthed) will have a symbol of one square inside another

5.20b.gif

In any other case, removing an earth lead to solve a problem isn't good practise - you need to find the problem rather than find a way to stop the symptom.

It is possible that you have a low Neutral > Earth resistance somewhere on that circuit - in which case the RCD is not tripping to be annoying, it is potentially saving you from a dangerous situation.

How old is the wiring? what sort of Consumer Unit do you have, how long ago was the RCD fitted? If it is covering the lighting do I assume that you have a TT system (Earth rod rather than earthing supplied by the DNO).

If you get a chance, post some pictures as we all love pictures! It may help us to give you clearer advice too.

Thanks Dartlec. I changed houses a year ago and stored all the garage gear in a cellar. Just got around to fitting out the new shed. I had used a Memera 2000 consumer unit but thinking that at fault am now using a GET unit from Wilkes. The casing of the lamps is metal. What I shall do is to disgard the old lamps and purchase new and that will make sure that all is well with the lamps. Grateful for your comments and advice

the MEM will be better than the GET.

Do you want some RCBOs?

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the offer JohnD. Intend to replace both lamps and then see the result. Suspect that the damp cellar and age (18 year) of the lamps contribute to the fault. Shed deserves new gear , will contact you if problem persists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back