Earthing light switches with a plastic back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just replacing some light switches from plastic to chrome. Most have metal back boxes and I can easily earth the switches. The light switches in the loft conversion have plastic back boxes. One of these is a two way gang switch which had a sleeved earth 'hanging' about when I removed the switch so I attached this directly to the earth terminal on the chrome switch. Have I done the right thing here? The light switch at the top of the stairs that links to this (also a plastic back box) has no available earth wire. What should I do here?

Sponsored Links
The light switch at the top of the stairs that links to this (also a plastic back box) has no available earth wire. What should I do here?

You must NOT fit a metal switch if there is no earth present.

You really need to test the other earth wire aswell to ensure it is acually tested to earth at the other end.

Until then, stick with the SAFE plastic switches.

The light switches in the loft conversion have plastic back boxes. One of these is a two way gang switch which had a sleeved earth 'hanging' about when I removed the switch so I attached this directly to the earth terminal on the chrome switch. Have I done the right thing here?

Probably but test equipment would be needed to ensure continuity of the cpc.
What if it's just hanging around at the other side too?

The light switch at the top of the stairs that links to this (also a plastic back box) has no available earth wire. What should I do here?

Don't fit metal switches, plastic only I'm afraid.
Only other option would be to rewire that particular area.

Is the cable a flat grey twin and earth? If so, do the two switches you mention work as a 2 way?
If so, I hope the cpc hasn't been sleeved and used as a strapper!

Beaten to it by RF!

Sponsored Links
The 2 switches do work as a 2 way. In the switch with no free earth wire the earth wire just loops round are the back of the box but has no exposed end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back