Earthing of light switch mounting box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I changed a couple of old light dimming switches last week for "normal" brass switches. I ensured the new switches were firmly earthed, but I didn't connect an earth to the metal mounting box in the wall.

How big a problem is this, if at all? I figured it was impossible for someone to physically come into contact with the box because it's hidden inside the wall, behind the metal body of the new switch. The connecting screws that attach the new switch to the mounting box are a possible weakness though?

I'm probably going to look again at this anyway and add in a link, but thought I'd see what others think!

Regards,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
If the mounting box has at least on fixed lug then it is not necessary to earth the box, provided that the switch itself is earthed.

It is, however, considered best practice to provide the earth link beween the box and the switch/socket, etc

If the mounting box has at least on fixed lug then it is not necessary to earth the box, provided that the switch itself is earthed.

It is, however, considered best practice to provide the earth link beween the box and the switch/socket, etc
What do you mean by "fixed lug"? Do you mean where the screws (from the switch) attach to the box? If so, I think both were "loose", in the sense that they allowed very small (mm) adjustment of the switch position.

Sounds sensible though, what you say. I will probably put the link in anyway, but I won't make it a high priority.

Thanks,
Richard.

Most boxes these days have one fixed and one moveable lug.

The back box is earthed by the screw to the FIXED lug.

If your box has two moveable lugs then an earth link is necessary.

Sponsored Links
By fixed lug this will be metal too.

Older switch boxes circa early 60s had nylon threaded lugs, so in the case of these you should fix an earth connection to the metal box in some way.

It is, however, considered best practice to provide the earth link between the box and the switch/socket, etc

I am curious why people consider this best practice. Surely it is rather poor engineering practice to waste time and materials on unnecessary work?

Also, I have never come across a situation where a hazard has arisen because of an unearthed back box. However, I have come across numerous problems caused by the quantity of cabling in a back box, or poor connections where multiple cables are terminated under the same screw. Adding an unnecessary cable doesn't seem like a sensible thing to do.

It is not a requirement. - but...

...following your reasoning, should there be a metal back-box and plastic switch you may as well not attach the cpc or cut it off.

...following your reasoning, should there be a metal back-box and plastic switch you may as well not attach the cpc or cut it off.

Edit - Thought I'd better add that my comment relates to when the switch is taken off - time of greatest danger.
I realise the implications when fixed.

The back box must be earthed. Where that is achieved satisfactorily from the accessory, I consider it bad practice to introduce superfluous wiring. If the switch does not have a CPC connection, the CPC clearly needs to be terminated on the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back