Metal faceplate with plastic mounting box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up a chandelier in our front room with 9 60watt candle bulbs and I want to install a dimmer switch as it isvery bright. I understand that I either need a 600w rated dimmer, or I need to use 40w bulbs for a 400w dimmer.
The problem I have is that the dimmer I want to install is brass, but the mounting box is plastic. The dimmer has an earthing terminal, and all the advice I have read says the earth wire should be connecting first to the faceplate and then a piece of earth wire needs to run form the faceplate to the earth terminal on the mounting box- but my plastic mounting box doesnt hae anywhere for the wire to connect to. Its a new build apartment (3 years old) and all the light switches and mounting boxes are currently plastic. If I want to install the brass dimmer is it suffucient to run the earth to the faceplate, or do I need to install a metal mounting box?

Sponsored Links
That's fine - the reason that normally you run a wire to the backbox is to earth the backbox, but as it's plastic it doesn't need it, so as long as the earth goes in to the faceplate that's all that's required...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back