Metal Dimmers with Ready Made Flying Earths but Plastic Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I am quite au fait with how flying earths etc. etc. work with metal faceplates.

However, I am installing a Metal dimmer on a Plastic backbox. There is an earthwire in the switch cable (currently bent over and attached to nothing as current faceplate is also plastic). Now, I would normally simply connect this to the Earth Terminal on the back of a Metal Faceplate.

HOWEVER, the faceplate is one of those dimmers with a ready-made Earth wire (in a crimp connector round a fixing screw). Therefore my Question is how to connect these two lengths of earthwire together. Is correct prractice to put in either end of a 5 amp strip connector?

Advice appreciated please! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
The easy answer is to join the two wires with a connector.

The better answer is to remove the existing earth lead from the switch, crimp a ring lug onto the circuit cpc (earth) and attach that to the back of the dimmer plate.

I would put the CPC in to the earth terminal on metal fittting and return the flying earth there to.

Thanks for reply, normally I would do this but there is no other Earth Terminal on the fitting for the CPC to go into. There is ONLY a Crimp Connector round one of the fixing screws with a small Flying earth lead attached.... :(

That is why I am thinking CPC into one end of 5 amp connector...Flying Earth out of other end...

Sponsored Links
The easy answer is to join the two wires with a connector.

The better answer is to remove the existing earth lead from the switch, crimp a ring lug onto the circuit cpc (earth) and attach that to the back of the dimmer plate.

Thanks! Those were my thoughts. :D

No reason why you can't use a 5 amp connector.

You can put both wires through one end of the connector if you like.

When putting just one wire into a terminal, make sure you have enough insulation stripped back, and bend the stripped end over double, so you will get a stronger connection at the connector block.

No reason why you can't use a 5 amp connector.

You can put both wires through one end of the connector if you like.

When putting just one wire into a terminal, make sure you have enough insulation stripped back, and bend the stripped end over double, so you will get a stronger connection at the connector block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back