Replacement dimmer switch not working (at all)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, an old dimmer switch stopped working (it actually 'popped' and a blue light flashed inside the mounting box). Figuring it was the dimmer itself I tried replacing it with a new one.

The old one was plastic 240W with the earth cable fixed in the mounting box, and the new one is brass 400W where it seems the earth cable needs to be attached to the cover.

2 questions: does it matter that I am replacing a 240W dimmer with a 400W dimmer (controlling a single 'standard' light) and is it imperative that the earth cable is attached to the brass cover and not the mounting box?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.... based on the way the old dimmer 'failed', does it sound as though the problem could be more serious than just a broken dimmer switch?

Sometimes the bulb going will take out teh dimmer too, so check teh lamp hasnt gone pop too.

An easy way to check is to koi the two wires together in the switch box. That will confirm all the wiring and the lamp itself.

Turn the power off at the fuseboard first!

Sponsored Links
is it imperative that the earth cable is attached to the brass cover and not the mounting box?
The earth/CPC must be attached to the switch plate and depending whether the backbox is metallic and if it was rigid screw lugs or moveable ones, would determine if a the earth/CPC should also be bridged across plate and backbox, but belt/brace, safe/sorry would recommend doing it anyway!
I would also suggest for safety reasons that you actually had it proved via test, that a path back to earth at the supply was present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back