Earthing outside light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a 150w halogen garden floodlight in place of an old standard outside light. The current fitting is not earthed, but the new one requires an earth. What is the best way to go about earthing the new light?
Once that is done, I have 2 x normal 60w outside lights that I want to run alongsde the halogen. Can I continue the wiring that goes into the halogen, to supply the other 2 lights? :?:

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming there is no earth conductor in the supply cable? If so your only option is to change the light, or rewire the lighting circuit.

Thanks for that Davy. As a matter of interest, if the light was wired in but not earthed, what would be the end result?

Sponsored Links
and it might just kill you or whichever poor bugger happens to touch it.

That answers that question! Thanks for your help chaps. I'll call my spark as I have been told that this is not a legal DIY job anyway. :oops:

Polopete said:
That answers that question! Thanks for your help chaps. I'll call my spark as I have been told that this is not a legal DIY job anyway. :oops:

There isn't anything which prohibts any domestic electrical work being done as DIY, just some of its notifiable to the building control department, however swapping over a light without adding any extra fixed cabling etc is non notfiable (it pays to read the SIs rather than listen to pub/wholesaler talk :LOL: )

So feel free to go out and purchase a class two outside luminaire and install it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back