Earthing steel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this may cause some issues, but I have just had a new steel bath implemented into my bathroom.

The Bath sits directly above a downstairs toilet (which has two spots and an extractor fan installed)

I was wondering if the bath needs to be earthered or not, the installer said no as there is no power shower or exposed sockets in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
The bath itself does not need to be earthed.

If supplementary bonding is required (it is no longer required if the electrical install in the bathroom is compliant with the 17th edition and cetain other conditions are followed) then it should connect the earth writes of all circuits supplying stuff in the bathroom and all metal pipes entering or leaving the bathroom.

I know this may cause some issues

I don't see why.......it's pretty straight forward. :)

I have just had a new steel bath implemented into my bathroom.

The Bath sits directly above a downstairs toilet (which has two spots and an extractor fan installed)

I was wondering if the bath needs to be earthered or not, the installer said no as there is no power shower or exposed sockets in the bathroom.

The bath will never require 'earthing' - it is not part of the electrical installation.

It may require 'supplemetary bonding' - but only an electrician will be able to tell you this.......after he's assessed your supply characteristics and the circuit protective devices that are protecting the bathroom electrics.

It may require 'supplemetary bonding' - but only an electrician will be able to tell you this.......after he's assessed your supply characteristics and the circuit protective devices that are protecting the bathroom electrics.
Even if supplementary bonding is needed it's not the bath itself that should be bonded it's the pipes leading to the bath.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help again, I was thinking about not doing it, but I was sent the installation guide from Bette and it points to an earthing lug to be installed.

View media item 43306
Should i get my builder to do it?

The bath will never require 'earthing' - it is not part of the electrical installation.

BUILDER = no!
ELECTRICIAN = yes!

We use supplementary bonding or earthing the words are not important to ensure a fault in one area can't be transmitted to another area via the metalwork. And to stop two bits of metal having a different potential.

Be this a soil pipe, a water pipe or gas pipe even a oil pipe with oil fired central heating.

Today however many pipes are plastic so will not transmit a fault from one room to another and in some cases not bonding to earth can make things safer as with the shaver socket.

So the rules on what needs bonding has changed. In my bathroom only visible pipes are metal (look better than plastic) all pipes under the floor boards are plastic. The whole house is RCD protected so there are no earth wires in my bathroom.

In my kitchen my sink is earthed but that's because there is a grinder attached to it.

So there is no real simple answer from what I understand it was some American electrifying a bath to try and cure his wife that resulted in the telephone from being invented well before Bell did it. (It could only happen in America)

I do not think electrifying a bath is a good idea even if it did cause the telephone to be invented I think most Plumbers take the attitude if unsure earth it.

It must be the early hour Eric but some of what you are saying here is rubbish - that will totally confuse a diyer.
We use supplementary bonding or earthing the words are not important
The words are very important because their implementation is through totally different methods.
to ensure a fault in one area can't be transmitted to another area via the metalwork. And to stop two bits of metal having a different potential. Be this a soil pipe, a water pipe or gas pipe even a oil pipe with oil fired central heating.
About the only thing I can agree with.

So the rules on what needs bonding has changed. In my bathroom only visible pipes are metal (look better than plastic) all pipes under the floor boards are plastic. The whole house is RCD protected so there are no earth wires in my bathroom.
The rules for supplementary bonding have not changed they have been relaxed under very special criteria.

In my kitchen my sink is earthed but that's because there is a grinder attached to it.
This is totally confusing.
Are you saying that your sink is earthed because there is a grinder attached to it and that grinder already has a cpc?
Or are you saying because you have a grinder at the sink you have added supplementary bonding?
Because if the former applies then you are actually saying that if your sink does not have a grinder it must be 'earthed', which clearly contradicts your ealier statement.

So there is no real simple answer from what I understand it was some American electrifying a bath to try and cure his wife that resulted in the telephone from being invented well before Bell did it. (It could only happen in America)
A fairy tale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back