Earthing the gas supply

so you would fit a 6mm2 bond to a new gas installation then would you???

Sponsored Links
so you would fit a 6mm2 bond to a new gas installation then would you???

I think you need to read what I am posting and inwardly digest and try to understand.

If the gas installations incoming supply permited a 6mm2 bond then yes I would.

A contract we have not long finnished..

Example: LPG contract in small contages/park homes. Incomming electrical supply 10mm armour cable TN-S.

Main protective bond has to be half the size of incoming neutral min. Therefore, 6mm2 sufficient.

10mm2 x 100Mtrs say £70
6mm2 x 100Mtrs say £54

Number of systems on contract 120.

So You can see from this small contract, that their is a saving by using the perfectly legal and to the regualtions 6mm2 earth cable.

Why use 10mm2 when not needed.

This is where timeserved tradesmen who are appropriately qualified and experienced come into play. Also, a business is there to make a profit do you understand PROFIT.

Wiss, you are obviously out of your depth and don't understand either the regulations or basic business models. It would be best if you quit now as you are going to make an even bigger fool of yourself.

We quote for smal to medium contracts and fitting just what is required in plumbing, heating or electrical works is what is required, no more no less and to the spec/regulations.

The old Adage....Turnover for show...Profit for dough

Something that most businesses fail to understand.

Now toddle along son and leave the real tradesmen/businessmen to give adice FFS. :oops:

1Canhelp... We all greatly respect all the tickets, trades, qualifications and timeservedness you possess, and many will be grateful for your input of knowledge. However, the tone of your posts does rather suggest that you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

1canhelp, can you tell me where it states that you CAN use 6mm2 earth on a gas installation please. i would like to forward that onto my assessor. obviously you know everything about everything so this shouldnt be too hard for you.

Sponsored Links
He he he...... I'm yet to meet an NIC member who has mastered the art of diplomacy.

There'll be sparks!

Wiss, you are obviously out of your depth and don't understand either the regulations or basic business models. It would be best if you quit now as you are going to make an even bigger fool of yourself.
Your posts on the subject had hitherto been enlightening and educational - the epitome of a good forum post whereby you answered the OP's question and backed it up with the necessary justification.

Then you go and let technical confidence get overtaken by arrogance... :cry:

Mathew

I cant beleive this is still in the heating forum.

Some good advice given by icanhelp.

Therefore, on the gas course where they are instructing non competent operatives with regards to electricals, thay say 10mm2 to err on the side of safety.

With all due respect to you and your tutor, you are not timeserved electricians with the relevant qualifications/experience or registrered with a competent body such as NICEIC.

Therefore, you are not competent to comment on this matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote]

very interesting and informative post, (makes a change on here!!!!!!) i teach gas and have always had an issue commenting on ME bonding (as i call it, although i'm the first to admit i have no competance to comment)
when doing a safety check etc i am expected to tick a box to say ME bond satisfactory YES/NO, all i can say is that i can see it, and it is 10mm2 and positioned as per the gas regs (which i know through talking to decent sparks is not required for safety) but i have no idea where the cable goes when it disapears under the floor, what it is connected to , if anything, it is a total farce.

The Bonding as some people are referring to is actually called a main protective bond
Close. It's a main protective bonding conductor.

The main protective bond has to be sized with respect to the neutral conductor of the main supply.
Close again. In a TN-S or TT installation it is based on the size of the earthing conductor. Only in TN-C-S arrangements is it based on the neutral.

The main protective bond is to be fitted within 600mm and or before any branches as the gas pipe ENTERS the building i.e the connection has to be internal.
Close again, but no cigar. There is no absolute requirement for the connection to be on the inside. (544.1.2 refers)

The size and route of this bond can only be determined/fitted by an electrician.
Any competent person can carry out this work and BS 6891, Reg 8.16.4.2 provides plenty of guidance for the gas-manglers.

As you have noticed some of the posters have disapeared! this happens when a professional who does know what they are talking about appears.
Indeed this often does happen. ;)

This is a dangerous site where the short course trained discuss and give out advice on matters which, they are not trained and or experienced in. Be very wary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when taking advice on matters such as gas, plumbing or electrics on a internet forum.
Good advice.

1canhelp is spot on i was reading this in the gas installer not long ago
I refer you to the comments above.

Always consult a timeserved tradesman when dealing with Gas, Oil, Plumbing and electricals.
I wish I had your confidence in this statement. I spend my daily life effectively re-educating time-served tradesmen who know very little indeed.

Now toddle along son and leave the real tradesmen/businessmen to give adice FFS. :oops:
You have to be so careful what you say on here; anything you say may be taken down and produced in evidence...

Whats the saying......'A little knowledge/experience is a dangerous thing'
Indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back