Earthing ? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a description of the term Earthing and how it is carried out in an electricl supply.

Sponsored Links
Earthing means connecting exposed conductive parts of an installation to the star point of the transformer (via cpcs, earthing conductor and supply earth (or the ground) This is where the Neutral is derived from. Any fault causing the line to come into contact with these parts will cause a large enough fault current to flow to operate the protective device and isolate the line.

Sponsored Links
Earthing:piling dirt around the base of a plant to protect the bud union during periods of very cold weather.

With any area we want to get all exposed conducting parts to the same voltage and the biggest conducting area is the earth.
So we normally connect all exposed conducting parts to earth.
In practice the voltage in the earth will vary from point to point then not quickly enough for the human body to detect the difference.
The book says
Earthing. Connection of the exposed-conductive-parts of an installation to the main earthing terminal of that installation.
In some way that earthing terminal will be connected to the earth or ground we walk on.
The Terra firma to Neutral connection can be Seperated or Combined or both giving TN-C-S or TN-S etc. Or we can use a Terra firma to Terra firma connection TT just to confuse we also call TN-C-S by the name PME (Protective multiple earthing).

But it is all about keeping anything we can touch at the same voltage.

thanks for that

What is earthing struggling to undserstand
Its where you get a green and yellow wire, and bury it in earth in a terracotta plant pot. This is known as ME (Mobile Earth) and saves running unsightly earth wires all over your house. Its particularly popular when upgrading old installations which had no earth.

I suppose I should point out, this is a joke.

By the way eric, AFAIK, Terra is french for earth, and is used alone in the abbreviation TT - so the actual abbreviation stands for Terra Terra.

By the way eric, AFAIK, Terra is french for earth, and is used alone in the abbreviation TT - so the actual abbreviation stands for Terra Terra.

The French for earth is actually la terre.

Terra is the original Latin, transposed directly into Italian and with other minor variations into some other languages, e.g. tierra in Spanish.

Latin, thats what I meant. :LOL:

Pomme de terre - apples of the earth, or potatoes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back