Earthstone Worktop wood section warping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an earthstone work surface in the kitchen. Around the sink where water has run down and under sink when washing up the wooden bottom layer has started to warp. I tried to put some black filler to cover it as it's visible when you close the door. Sadly I don't think it's sealed to well. Is there a tape I could stick on over the edges to stop the water ingres? [/b]

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your sink wasn't sealed with silicone when it was dropped in.....rather than warping, the work top is likely to be swollen, and there's nothing you can do to bring it back.
Consider lifting the sink out, sealing everything (including the raw wood edge) and putting it back in - if the damage isn't too great.
John :)

Cheers John, yes swelling that's the word. The sink is sealed, i think what has happened is when we wash up the water comes over the sink and runs under the edge of the worktop. So what's deal to seal that edge.

With Earthstone, the acrylic finish is quite generous at 6mm thick and it's usually tight onto the chipboard backing.
Anyway, paint, varnish, anything you like but you need to stop the water getting in there!
No chance of a dishwasher for Xmas? :p

Sponsored Links
I understand that Earthstone surfaces can have a whole damaged section cut out and replaced with a new section. Then it can be filled with the proper filler/colourant and sanded down using an orbital sander. Then finished with scotchbrite and a dressing.

I have fitted Earthstone before (although it was a light grey colour) and the filler/colourant is excellent and fairly easy to use.

It might be worth visiting their website for more info.

You are absolutely correct, squeaky......Earthstone has a thick acrylic layer instead of laminate, and the finishing is effectively a welding process where acrylic plus solvents is squeezed into a join.
I haven't actually cut pieces out of Earthstone, but as an experiment I made a deep cut with a tenon saw, injected the two pack filler and allowed it to set. Finishing it of with 250 grit paper on an orbital sander produced amazing results......the join was invisible on a white, flecked surface - Gemini I think it was.
This is the product I will use in the future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back