Wilsonart Earthstone Worktop - Help Required

Having made and installed solid surface I'll say that yes you can get a high gloss surface finish BUT at the end if the day solid surface materials are fundamentally acrylic, a soft material very prone to scratching. That's the reason why duPont (makers of Corian) recommend finishing to P320 or P400 grit (or semi matt finish). Even when you get a high gloss finish on it you'll never keep it that way if you subject it to any kind of usage - and the same incidentally is true of high gloss laminate worktops. I now turn down any and all work where a domestic customer wants a high gloss finish because the callbacks (too many) are a nightmare. Putting a high gloss solid surface worktop in a showroom is to my mind downright misleading

Sponsored Links
We knew it wouldn't be high gloss, the designer did state it wouldn't look like granite but we're surprised at how grey it looks and how easily it stains. It definitely does NOT look like it does in the showroom. I'm bemused as to why B&Q bother selling it, I can see numerous other people complaining about the finish. They could just as easily sell a different worktop and save everyone the hassle. I shall submit a complaint to the ombudsman.

Hi

I have installed a similar earthstone breakfast bar and initially was very disappointed with finish, greying and just no shine, Matt or otherwise...
I purchased the matching installation and care kit, admittedly quite expensive, followed the instructions correctly and carefully... Then I stepped back to properly admire my work... I was gobsmacked!!! All of a sudden a glorious semi shine Matt worktop and all it's fabulous detail was revealed. The change was really transformative.
Better still, after three years it still looks good. I'm going to attach a photo of a section showing how it looks even now....

Remember, finish first before admire your worktop.

Good luck to all

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back