earthwire running along outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have lifted all of my decking and this is what it looks like now:

I'd like to put some gravel over it. My plan is to put some gravel boards round the perimeter and then fill with gravel over the existing slabs.
I am keen on doing this but i'd like some advice on the following:

a) securing the earthwire. When it was installed it was stuck under the decking. Should i put some conduit round it? We do have rodents in the garden....

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/rickb_2008/100_9663.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/rickb_2008/100_9664.jpg

Sponsored Links
It has been very untidily done!
From the pics I'm not sure what size cable it is but generally you need to use thicker conductors if it is to be buried.
I suggest you get some 20mm conduit and run it in that.

Can you get to one end to disconnect so you can run it in the conduit?
The conductor is meant to be one unbroken length - which would mean that if you cut it you would need to use a "permanent" methof of joining it (ie crimps or solder)

I can disconnect the clamps inside the house where it joins the water pipe.

Only problem with that is the cavity wall. I would have to pull it out and then stick it back in. I would hope the wire would slide through the hole easily.

How about mini trunking?

Whenever I run a cable through a wall I put a 22mm hole through, put a piece of 20mm conduit through then cable through that, makes passing the cable through much easier, you "should" turn off the power while this wire is disconnected

Sponsored Links
Whenever I run a cable through a wall I put a 22mm hole through, put a piece of 20mm conduit through then cable through that, makes passing the cable through much easier, you "should" turn off the power while this wire is disconnected

why does the power need to be off?

The power needs to be turned off as by disconnecting the cable you could cause your installation to lose its earth connection. I know it bonds to the water main but it could be using an old water main as an earth path. Best to be on the safe side .

Nick

Before pulling the earth wire out through the wall, attach a bit of wire/string/cord/bent wire coathanger/whatever to the end of it. Detach the cable once the end of your draw wire is outside, and re-attach it afterwards to pull the earth wire back through the hole in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back