Easiest way to set out rear extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just wanted some advice on the best way to set my first rafters and pole plate.

I know how to cut my birds mouth ect but it's just the positioning of the pole plate?.

The top of the rafter is not being notched for the pole plate, it's just 6x2 timbers on a 8x2 pole plate.

How would you guys approach this?

Thank you

Chris

Sponsored Links
We cut a trio of rafters and seat two of them into position at each end of the extension.

We then slide the pole plate into position under the rafters and ease it up until it touches each end rafter. We then temporarily fix each end of the pole plate with a 100mm screw.

We then use the third rafter to check along the whole extension to see if all is ok and that the wall does not recess in or bow out.

We then add more screws to the pole plate and fix all the rafters.

Once all the rafters are in position we then drill and fix our sleeve anchors. This is done afterwards so that none of the sleeve anchor protruding studs interfere with the rafter ends.

If you are not notching onto the pole plate, building control may ask you to fit truss clips or similar on the pole/rafter connection.

We cut a trio of rafters and seat two of them into position at each end of the extension.

We then slide the pole plate into position under the rafters and ease it up until it touches each end rafter. We then temporarily fix each end of the pole plate with a 100mm screw.

We then use the third rafter to check along the whole extension to see if all is ok and that the wall does not recess in or bow out.

Once all the rafters are in position we then drill and fix our sleeve anchors. This is done afterwards so that none of the sleeve anchor protruding studs interfere with the rafter ends.

If you are not notching onto the pole plate, building control may ask you to fit truss clips or similar on the pole/rafter connection.

Hi noseall thank you for the reply.

When you say fix a timber each end, Do you mean bird mouth them aswell.

Or can I offer the pole plate up with the timbers on each end, check for level, fix with 4inch screws ( fix with fishers later ) then slide the 2 timbers up 2 inches to mark for birdmouth?

What would you recommend.

Yes. You would typically make a pattern rafter complete with wall plate birdsmouth and it would be kept until the end or until you have made all the rafters.

Or can I offer the pole plate up with the timbers on each end, check for level, fix with 4inch screws ( fix with fishers later ) then slide the 2 timbers up 2 inches to mark for birdmouth?
Not sure i get this bit? Are you on about the (low end) wall plate birdsmouth or the (high end) pole plate birdsmouth?

If I am getting you right you are on about the low end birdsmouth, yes.

Decide on your pitch then cut a rafter with a correct pitch plumb cut at BOTH ends. It does not matter at this stage what length it is as long as it is near enough and it is wieldy.
Offer this (potential) rafter into place so that the plumb cut is seated flush against the brickwork. You can then plonk a level on the bottom plumb cut then raise or lower the rafter until the level reads (vertical) true.

Your rafter is now in plane and is resting on the wall plate (low end) and resting on the brickwork (high end). You then mark a vertical line where the plumb cut will be regarding the wall plate birdsmouth. Decide on the depth of the birdsmouth and mark the seat cut at 90 degrees to the plumb cut.

You are now ready to cut out your (low end) wall plate birdsmouth.

Sponsored Links

Hi noseall thank you for the reply.

What would you recommend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back