18.7 deg pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a small extension to my house and now have the Pole and Wall plates in position. I have temporarily dropped a Rafter on and the Pitch is 18.7 deg according to the App on my phone.

I will be using a smooth Marley Modern or similar tile which are OK down to 17.5 deg with 100mm headlap.

I have notched the Pole plate end of the Rafter by just 23 % to get as much height there as possible, and the Pole plate is as high as it can go on the wall. So if possible I am looking at ways of dropping the Wall plate end of the Rafter to give more Pitch.

Although 18.7 is within tolerance for the tiles I am wondering if I can get more pitch by fastening the Rafters flush to the wall plate with joist hangers instead of cutting a Birdsmouth and running them over the wall plate. I am not having Soffits so the Fascia board will be flush with the wall in any case.

Is this possible and if so how will I hang the first row of tiles, ie batten direct on the wall plate ?

Or should I just stick with 18.7 degrees ?

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I should stick with what you have (n) a domestic extension must be a small rafter length.

Yes it's only 3m long so rafter length is about 3.5m

Sponsored Links
If you drop the wallplate then you are lowering the ceiling, so why would you want to do that?

You'll have difficulty working to fractions of degrees with your app and timber rafters too.

In theory the first course batten will be something like 12" up the rafter anyway so you should still be able to fix conventionally.

Jontop, that's what I was thinking, and using hangers will give a sound wall plate connection.

I'll have a look at the headroom and see how much it will affect it

thanks

Part of the function of rafters is to restrain the wall. Hangers are no good for this, they are for vertical loads only

OK thanks, I can see that now, in that case I'll cut a bigger Birdsmouth, say 50%, and use hangers to assist with supporting the weight.

I live by the coast, so it can be windy. Should I nail all the tiles down or every other row ?

Also, I noticed that on a neighbours newly built tiled pitch roof extension, looking across I can see that the tiles by the gable ends are slightly higher than the other tiles, in fact the tiles undulate a bit as they go across the rafters. He used cement packed verges not dry verges.

Is this done this to keep water away from the gable edge or is that he just didn't get all the rafters level ?

Last edited:
It's probably more to do with the cloak just lifting the tile batten a wee bit and the tile not being pushed fully home into mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back