Easy BT drop wire question for you all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i know its illegal la la la but I checked my junction box before the master socket and have found 4 drop wires. Orange Orange/White Green Black. Now checking up to the socket ive found it has been wired incorrectly.

Black and Green have been wired straight to 2 and 5 on back of faceplate and not A B points.

Can i ask which way round they go. Think i put black to A and green to B?

Also would this effect broadband speed? I understood main pair normally used are the oranges?

Thanks

L.

Sponsored Links
I take it that the orange and white wires are not connected to anything ???yes the working pair should be on the screws but I would put green on A and black on B . The orange white is the first pair in the dropwire and the green black is the second pair and would only normaly be used if you had two phone lines , or if the first pair had gone faulty instead of replacing the whole cable from pole to your house some engineers would then use the second pair . No it probably wouldnt affect your dsl .

The line polarity generally won't affect DSL signals or telephony, but some older modems were sensitive to line polarity. It didn't affect data transfer, but it was significant during the call set-up process.

To be correct, the wire with negative DC voltage would be connected to B, and the one at about earth potential would be connected to A.

It's one of those differences that makes no difference, so it is no difference. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back