Easy Fit SmartPhone Alarm vs SmartHome Alarm

TLM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would appreciate your comments regarding both systems. I would like to control system using mobile device (iOS) and would prefer IP communication (broadband) rather then landline for a various reasons. Is app available for SmartHome?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am not familar with these noticed that one includes installstion and then they tell you what additional products you need.

Yale should be able to supply a fact sheet of key features of each system the smart home appears to be graded but at 650 or 830 ish installed not sure but it did have 5 pirs and 2 door contacts and a bell no mention of control

Personally I wouldnt use them but msy be they are okay I am sure someone here can give you a more balanced answer.

Have you had a free survey by a local alarm installer?

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

I haven't had a survey yet and would rather do everything by myself. I can easily identify all weak points in my house and I'm capable of installing any system assuming documentation is provided by manufacturer. I have nothing against professional installers it is just my approach to all technical projects.

SmartHome Alarm can be purchased for £420 inc VATso I assume you do not need professional installation. It may be recommended but not obligatory - please correct me if I'm wrong here. Regardless of that I think there is no app to control and just mobile dial in? not really what I wish for...

Not sure if this is just me but UK market lacks of home smart security systems but I have managed to find some in US. Again if you can recommend something I will appreciate it. I would be nice to be able to add some PIR video cameras to this system but I may just add it as a separate system.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing stopping an end user installing there own alarm.

Making sure the system is installed correctly is not necessary as straight forward as following in the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

You will see many people on here requesting help with the basic design and functionality of systems to get the best out of them.(to work properly)

I have seen the review on there website and it even has upload download facility according to the review but they had to contact Yale for advice. It also says you can dial in on a landline or gsm if fitted.

The price is for the much smaller kit, you can add a gsm module for £100.

You need to speak to yale or the company you have quoted as they are the sole distributor apparently, that alone would keep me away. They should be able to provide details on remote control.

This looks like Yales attempt to get into the market with a semi professional system grade 2 PD6662:2010 compliant. They certainly have plenty of additional add ons, and simple manual.

Had a look at the installation manual, and it has some nice features like the sound bank. signal strenth indicator and you can buy repeater modules.

I can see this product being popular as diy install, however I see some installation companies are installing this also.

The kit appears to be adequate for Grade 2, so go for it, if thats what you want.

Sponsored Links
i think the smartphone alarm is the best choice

Can you please collaborate a little more? Any experience? I'm more tempted to go for the smartphone alarm even that it is not Grade 2 system.

I wonder if there are any other mobile alarm available in the UK. I could not find anything interesting.

Thanks

What do you need to have on the system?

Hard wired?
Wireless?
Remote control?
Number of zones?
IP or GSM?

Texecom and others offer what I think you are looking for but need to know what you need the system to have to point you to specific kit.

What do you need to have on the system?

Wireless only, iOS app remote control, two zones, IP (as my router has GSM failover line and control panel will be installed where there is no access to phone socket) or IP/GSM. The minimum would be 3 PIRs, 3 door contacts and external siren. Additionally it would be great to get 2 external PIR video cameras and a grade 2 868MHz two way communication alarm... but I guess it is already too much to ask ;)

Thanks

For the money you are spending, you should take a look at the Galaxy range. I think you could do a Dimension install with prox keypad, low cost IP module and wireless portal for £350. There are IP based self monitoring options and remote control via web based keypad for iphone.

There are plenty here to help you out with the setup if you get stuck.

I would keep the cctv separate.

We fitted the Yale Smart Alarm system (grade 2) a couple of weeks ago after a customer specific request.

Initially I was a little concerned as we normally fit Visonic .......I see yale as more DIY however this is certainly not the case with the smart alarm.
The manual is also very well written....

I did have an issue get the front cover off panel and had to speak with Yale( it turned out to be simple in the end).....

Just had a look at the Smartphone alarm and this definitely seems more of a DIY product which I would certainly leave alone - gadgety crap!

Just my 2p for the day:)
Matt

For the money you are spending, you should take a look at the Galaxy range. I think you could do a Dimension install with prox keypad, low cost IP module and wireless portal for £350. There are IP based self monitoring options and remote control via web based keypad for iphone.
I have looked at the Galaxy but prox keypad just put me off. I would like to get something more "modern" rather than setting up alarm scrolling line by line. I guess I'm more into iSmart "gadgety" alarms :/

Matt

Is there app to control (arm/disalarm) Yale Smart Alarm system?

Regards

I have looked at the Galaxy but prox keypad just put me off. I would like to get something more "modern" rather than setting up alarm scrolling line by line. I guess I'm more into iSmart "gadgety" alarms :/

I suppose I see the Galaxy as pretty 'gadgety'. You can expand with a variety of options:

RF Keyfobs: Two way remote setting/unsetting
RIO Modules: Zone and output expansion
RF Portals: RF based zone expansion
Keypad Expansion: Multiple wired keypads
IP Module: Android Keypad App / Low cost self monitoring web/email/sms/voice
Windows remote service suite: IP based setup/save of the panel config/logs

In saying that, the Yale product may be more suited to the home DIY installer.

Matt

Is there app to control (arm/disalarm) Yale Smart Alarm system?

Regards

I'm not 100% if there is an app BUT there was definately a LAN connection on the panel and there was a USB for upload settings and firmware update.

When I had a problem with fascia panel I range Yale and spoke to a guy call Steve Wright...no pun intended...He was very helpful...kept his number in the phone 01902 364 098.

Ive been asked to fit a smartphone alarm this weekend for a neighbour so I should have a btter idea on what its like.....compared to smart alarm.

Why did they name two totally different systems with such stupid similar names?????????????

Matt

I just downloaded the full manual for the above alarm and in all fairness it looks quite a snazzy bit of kit.........

I really like the power switch.......I know it not a new concept but the ease of install...I think Yale could be onto a winner..

Will compare with smart alarm......

One thing I did pick up on is that Yale will not guarantee FOC server after 2018.......does this mean it will become a cost?

From my experience with Security vendors implementations of embedded IP, I suggest caution when thinking about implementing image capture / cameras within domestic premises. With weak IP based systems placed on the internet, any hacker can dial in and watch you.

From my experience with Security vendors implementations of embedded IP, I suggest caution when thinking about implementing image capture / cameras within domestic premises. With weak IP based systems placed on the internet, any hacker can dial in and watch you.

Hypothetically agreed indeed......but if someone is ready to target you to such an extent, you should not be fitting this type of system....

I think we need to keep within sensible boundaries...yes its possible but 99.9% unlikely.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back