Easy fix to fix treadmill fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife went to use treadmill the other day and she said there was a bang and it tripped the fusebox. There is power getting to the on/off switch as it lights up but no power to the tracking unit and treadmill motor. Took off tge cover and it looks like a soldered fuse has blown. Is this an easy thing to fix assuming that is whats wrong with it. Pics beliw (excuse the dust)

20210208_160654_001.jpg 20210208_160710.jpg 20210212_121326.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's easy enough to replace the fuse link if you have suitable soldering equipment. However, these components generally blow for a reason, so it's likely the replacement will just pop again. Some troubleshooting is therefore needed/recommended before replacement.

An image of the purple component, the one that appears to be leaking white liquid would help diagnosis.

It could be a failed electrolytic capacitor that has become a short circuit and needs replacing.

the white liquid might just be a sort of glue used to fix the purple part to the board to stop vibration damaging the connection

Sponsored Links
20210212_121207.jpg
Forgot to upload this image and again excuse the dust. Don't have experience of soldering but willing to try, at this moment the treadmill is goosed (so can't make it worse) and thanks to COVID, prices are through the roof so wife is holding off just now. What type of fuse is it and can you tell the amp rating (assuming it's measured the same as normal fuse) and where can one get them.

Cheers

Has this component split into half
upload_2021-2-12_17-25-4.png

If it has then it is very likely that several components have also failed.

hard to tell if the blue component has split or is just two capacitors close to each other

OP keeps asking for the fuse value. No way to tell from the picture but very likely is says somewhere on it. I would remove it, and get out a magnifying glass to see if there are any markings.

If the fuse has blown then that'll be the least of your problems. The blue things are voltage dependant resistors acting as transient suppressors.
You may well find the thyristor driving the motor has blown and if so that may be due to a motor fault. Been there got the tee-shirt and ended up buying a new treadmill. Even found parts of a scorpion inside the motor when I stripped it down !

Aplogies on delay in replying. Looks like a blue resistor has blown too.
20210215_141902.jpg

Thats a capacitor it should have some writing on the side, with its value

I would concur. If that shorted it might easily explain the blown fuse on its own.

It looks more like a varistor, rather than a capacitor, used for over-voltage transient suppression. If you can read the number off it CPC Farnell will have a replacement. If you can't read the number get it from one of the other ones. The solder caps on the fuse should pull away from the fuse (careful you don't get the end-cap off the glass as well). That should reveal the fuse rating stamped on the fuse end-cap.

Edit: I see the board is marked "C10" but they might have changed the design intent post getting the blank boards printed.

Last edited:
Took off tge cover and it looks like a soldered fuse has blown. Is this an easy thing to fix assuming that is whats wrong with it. Pics beliw (excuse the dust)

That fuse hasn't simply blown with age or a slight over load, it has been taken out by a substantial fault condition. It will be easy to replace, but it will simply blow again straight away - you need to find the cause of the fault and as above, that component bubbling liquid out the base (electrolytic capacitor), might well be the cause.

Cheers for everyones help, with the weather changing for the better the wife is running outside more, she wants a new one at some point as the trewdmil, is quite narrow and she wants a wider one. I'm off work in a few weeks and maybe see if I can sort it myself (can't break it anymore than it is), so could you guys list the 3 things that look like the problem.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back