Easy way to get air out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I accidentally cut my hot water pipe that had been moved as part of some building work, so had to drain the system in a hurry. I've fixed the pipe and refilled it but there is so much air in nothing flows for more than a few seconds.

Is it a case of waiting patiently for the bubbles to pull through or is there a quick way. It's a gravity fed and pumped system so i didn't want to run a mains pipe on to a shower hose for fear of damaging the pump.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
When I had a gravity hot water system and got an air lock, I held my hand firmly over the spout of the mixer tap with the hot water tap open and then turned on the cold, mains pressure tap. This forced mains water up the hot feed pipe and cleared the air.

I tried a hose on the shower head/hose attachment with the cold (shorter gravity fed pipe) but there seems to be a non return valve which closed.

I was wondering if I ran a mains fed hose in to the loft and pushed it as far down the take in hole from the tank?

Sponsored Links
When I had a gravity hot water system and got an air lock, I held my hand firmly over the spout of the mixer tap with the hot water tap open and then turned on the cold, mains pressure tap. This forced mains water up the hot feed pipe and cleared the air.
That's the simplest way to do it or a bit of hose from the mains tap onto the hot.
Mind you perhaps a couple of these in the storage tank might do the trick!
http://www.boots.com/rennie-deflatine-36-tablets-10007156

Have you sorted your self imposed problem out ?

Just asking as more people can add answers,not worth the effort if you have sorted it out.

not yet - will be picking up a new wet n dry vac from toolstation on the way home as my current one pumps out more dust than it sucks up.

A short length of rubber/plastic pipe over a tap with no flow,with tap of no flow turned on and a lot of sucking will restart the gravity flow be ready to spit out any mucky water,thou.

Its the first step before buying/calling in sucking experts.

i'll give that a go first. the shower head attachment on the bath is removable

thinking about it. i've got a high volume dingy pump. that i could try

Hey its very basic info,no tool s required just a good sucking technique will fix it,unless you buggered the isolation valve.

Plumbers talk non pc sorry but it works ,

Enjoy your evening.

ask @jeff the gasman if you can borrow Olive

What??!!!......always the last to know!!!
If he can fund her Gin habit, he's welcome to her.

OP if you have both a hot & cold fill washing machine, just remove the cold hose from the WM & connect it to the hot valve & give it a blast!

Now I'm off to have a word with 'erindoors!!

not yet - will be picking up a new wet n dry vac from toolstation on the way home as my current one pumps out more dust than it sucks up.

have you tried( keeping) sucking a downstairs tap yet ? might take a minute or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back