Eating Out Of Date Food

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you do it?

If so, how old would you go?

Let me just break the ice and say that I have just been given some foods with dates going back to February 2014.

I have had opportunity to eat many of them and with a couple of notable exceptions, they were all perfectly palatable.

My strategy is thus:

Open it.
Look at it. Does it look like it ought to?
Smell it. Does it smell as you expect?
Then if it passes these tests, taste a little.

The ones that have failed were some crackers in a bag (rancid-smelling), some coated peanuts (also rancid) and some dried banana chips (rancid- see a theme developing here?)

Those foods with high salt or sugar content, or that were dried and in all cases having a lesser fat content, fared much better.

After all, I remember the 70's and this is what we used to do before sell-by dates anyway, wasn't it?

Sponsored Links
As you say, check with the nose!! Tho something from 3 years ago I would chuck out..
I'm more of a stickler for dates on some things, mainly meat, diary etc and would rather chuck it out than risk it, esp as some things are cheap to buy.

I don't eat meat myself but the other half tells me regularly to cook something out of date for him that's been in the fridge too long and he'll eat it. He's not been sick yet so maybe he's right not to be as fussy as me... :)

Just had a look - can of soup date 01/19.
Obviously not going to become poisonous on the 1st of February 2019, so what does it actually mean?

Also have some ready-made pastry - 30 March 13.19 ???

Sponsored Links
Just had a look - can of soup date 01/19.
Obviously not going to become poisonous on the 1st of February 2019, so what does it actually mean?

Also have some ready-made pastry - 30 March 13.19 ???

is the 13th week many companies use weeks as you only have to reset the printer once a week rather than every day

i will eat food well after the sell by date especially eggs :rolleyes:
when my mum died we found a cook in the tin pie about 40 year old
as an experiment i cooked it it looked fine smelt fine what did it taste like i hear you shout ---------------------------------

-----------wasnt that brave :D

Advertisement = "Evian Water distilled and purified through millions of years volcanic rock"

Bottle it and the bottle requires a " Sell by" date stamped on it.

Note what the word Evian says back to front. !

As for Meat
Frozen "New Zealand" lamb was probably last on the hoof and bounding about the meadows 20/30 years ago, sell it it requires a "Sell By" date

Would you do it?

If so, how old would you go?

Let me just break the ice and say that I have just been given some foods with dates going back to February 2014.

I have had opportunity to eat many of them and with a couple of notable exceptions, they were all perfectly palatable.

My strategy is thus:

Open it.
Look at it. Does it look like it ought to?
Smell it. Does it smell as you expect?
Then if it passes these tests, taste a little.

The ones that have failed were some crackers in a bag (rancid-smelling), some coated peanuts (also rancid) and some dried banana chips (rancid- see a theme developing here?)

Those foods with high salt or sugar content, or that were dried and in all cases having a lesser fat content, fared much better.

After all, I remember the 70's and this is what we used to do before sell-by dates anyway, wasn't it?

Pretty much the same for me... Best before dates don't mean anything really.

Advertisement = "Evian Water distilled and purified through millions of years in volcanic rock"

Bottle it and the bottle requires a " Sell by" date stamped on it.

Note what the word Evian says back to front. !

As for Meat
Frozen "New Zealand" lamb was probably last on the hoof and bounding about the meadows 20/30 years ago, sell it it requires a "Sell By" date

I don't know. I have another packet which is 30 March 14.02. It certainly looks like the time.

It will be the time. The datestamper will be set to x days ahead, so with the printed date and the time they can check when it was actually made for quality control purposes.

:rolleyes:
when my mum died we found a cook in the tin pie about 40 year old
as an experiment i cooked it it looked fine smelt fine what did it taste like i hear you shout ---------------------------------

-----------wasnt that brave :D

Well no, they probably had scrapie in those days.

Sponsored Links
Back