Eaves dormer supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time posting - I've moved into an old 1920s/1930s chalet style house with the upstairs rooms built into the roof. There are dormers on both sides of the house and the eaves in the picture are off of one of the dormers.

I'm boarding them out to use as a small room/ storage. It would be much better if i could do away with the diagonal beams. I'm not sure what they can be doing- the angle doesn't seem right for supporting the roof. They look like purlin supports i guess and may be going down to a load bearing wall but it's only a small part of the roof that they seem to be supporting. There is also the brick wall there which the roof is resting on. I thought they might be supporting that but they slot in above.

Any idea what they are there for? Can I cut them out?

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
as there is little tie by ceiling collers and floor joist at plate height i would say they was to stop the spread of the roof by tying plate back down to floor joist so no dont cut out

Thanks, that makes sense. Can't see that there is an easy alternative so will leave as they are - will be fine for a storage cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back