Eaves & Gutter overhang

Sponsored Links
One thing to remember is if you don't allow them to do any work from your side of the boundary is you may end up with a poorly pointed wall that looks untidy that you have to see everyday and your neighbour won't care about as they can't see it.

As much of a pain as it is it can be allowing them on your land to build something you don't agree with it can be for the best to ensure what is on your side is of a good standard and doesn't detract from your property

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
One thing to remember is if you don't allow them to do any work from your side of the boundary is you may end up with a poorly pointed wall that looks untidy that you have to see everyday and your neighbour won't care about as they can't see it.

As much of a pain as it is it can be allowing them on your land to build something you don't agree with it can be for the best to ensure what is on your side is of a good standard and doesn't detract from your property

There must (assumed on my side, i have no clue) be something you can do about crappy looking pointing if they build? where _could_ you say something? in the planning permission (assuming again, it work needs it)?

Sponsored Links
There is, it's quite simple just allow the builder the access they need to do a tidy job

Thanks guys, After a bit more research, I spoke to the builder & mentioned if he built the wall on the boundary, I would use it as a 3rd party wall, to do my own extension, & join the roof, he didn't like that & said no, so the extension wall is not now on the boundary & the gutter does not overlook my property.

Yep, had notification, steel fitted 3 foot away from my boundary, no problems with weight on my foundations, next doors wall is away from the boundary & the gutters dont overhang. Quite pleased with the outcome

I am so happy for you. That is the outcome I also want. Planning to build an extension on Permitted Development. Neighbours have twice objected; resulting on the planning officer paying me a visit. Just a single storey extension with a pitched roof like many already built in my street. The ones objecting have a flat roof; can’t help thinking envy plays a part. It would be within my line of the boundary (gutters including). My architect doesn’t communicate much, he always seems busy. The council seem to be on the objectors side simply because I believe they wrote a lengthy letter. So stressed I am lying in bed with the flu.I am sorry to go on but I wish my neighbours were reasonable like you. Before planning I went to see them and explained my intention. At the time they were supportive, yet they are doing their best to stop it.

Don't think lengthy letters have much sway I've seen essays and professional reports put forward but still planning gets passed. Since your neighbours already have an extension can't see what their objection could be unless you are several metres past theirs. Next time you talk to the council casually ask how you appeal the decision if they refuse your application, that will focus them on what is fact and fiction

A 4 mtr extension with a pitched roof is within the limits for building, your neighbours already have an extension so there's no reason for their objection. Do they have a window on the side, or access alongside your proposed extension? Personally I cant see a problem.

They do have a window of their kitchen on the side but my kitchen is not going to have windows their side (just a plain brick wall. My gutter overhang will be in my own boundary space

After the second objection my architect asked me that do I not get on with my neighbours to which I replied ‘I thought I did’

So your new wall will effectively cut off their view & light, that's probably their objection, but I wouldn't think that's grounds to stop your development. A 6 foot fence would probably do the same.

They are terraced backyards and they already have my kitchen wall and the rest of the boundary wall which is about 8 foot high cutting off their view and light. However nearly every single house in the street has an extension like the one we want to build . In fact when our neighbours on the other side wanted to build a similar extension we had no problem whatsoever and supported them as best we could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back