Eaves wall plate installation query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am building a small single storey lean two extension. My query relates to the eaves wall plate. I understand this is to be bedded on mortar on the inner skin of blockwork. Should the plate be cut to fit up to the inside of the return/gable blockwork, or should it pass through the gable and be cut flush with the outside face of the inner blockwork skin? Hope that makes sense. I cannot find any details on line that show this.

I thought it would be the first option so that the gable inner skin blockwork does not have a piece of timber to go over.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody. I think I'd prefer to have block on block rather than on timber so I will cut the end of the plate off.

Sponsored Links
You can leave the WP long enough (100mm each end) so that it finishes flush with the outer edge of the inner leaf block-work. It will help prevent any WP end-splitting when fixing the end rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back