'ECO' / Set-back temperature (Vaillant)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a Vaillant condensing boiler fitted (ecoTEC plus 831) and have just purchased and fitted a Vaillant VRT 230 programmable room thermostat.

Great piece of kit but I'm wondering what the Set-back temperature "ECO" mode actually does and how it affects general heating times.
I assume it's some sort of economical mode? It's pre-set to 15 degree's.
Is it related to room temperature when out of timed mode? ie boiler maintains temperature above 15 degrees?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
Yep - don't you just love it when there's no real problem and everything is fine just the way it is? :LOL:

Lol, if only everything in life was that simple!

Many thanks for your help :)

GaryMo said:
Thanks.

So basically ignore this and leave it at 15 degree's?

It all depends on your way of life.

I dont like to get too hot in the bedroom so if it was mine I would set it back to about 12 C which would save enough during the year to take someone out for a curry twice.

Tony

Its generally considered that for each degree centigrade you can lower your space heating, you can expect to see a 10% reduction in the fuel bill.

There are all sorts of different ways of working it out, but the results are always circa 10%.

Thus the popularity of programmable room stats, like your VRT360.

I thought the magic temperature was 14 degrees, below that and moisture begins to set into the fabric of the building?

'spose it doesn't matter over night, but long term...

I always leave mine set at 6C unless the customer asks otherwise. This way it will act more like a normal on/off programmer but will cut in if it gets really cold only.

I have yet to come across a customer who wants any heat during the night.

Dan_Robinson said:
Its designed to stop the room temperature dropping below or rising above 15 degrees during the night period.

Simple as that.
Stops it rising above Dan :!: So it does Airconditioning aswell :D

Stan

Yes Dan, the magic temperature is around 14C, due to the specific latent heat of evaporation needed to remove the moisture that would form in the wall fabric below this temperature.

However, in a domestic environment it could be argued that the room will not normally drop much below 14C for a significant time in a night/day thermostat programme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back