economy 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of advise required please. Been asked to replace old metal clad econ 7 fuseboard and normal household fuseboard to new consumer units. Customer is changing over to economy 10 which I don't have any experience of. Is it just a replacement for economy 7 or can the board be removed and all put into the new dual rcd for the rest of the house, she wants to be able to just plug in mobile radiators as and when required. Been mainly industrial for a long time but lack of customers has seen me move over to unfamiliar territory. PIR all ok so no problems with the wiring. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We did a job not too long ago that invloved this.

Instead of mobile heaters though we fitted the new Gel filled radiators all around the house..15 in all and changed the SFS's to new items and changed the board to a 15 way RCD unit.I suppose all your doing in this case it having a load of radial circuits off one board with 5 amp rated MCB's? Thing is this dosn't stop people using the sockets for other things so it would have to be rated higher.

Thanks for the reply, so I can remove the econ 7 heater circuits and place in the house circuits board? Is it best to leave the immersion on a seperate board so it only uses the cheap rate or does the new meter not work like that.

I'm not 100% sure Jack to be honest but somone in the know will reply soon for you mate.

The radiators we used all had 24/7 timers on them so we just ditched the economy 7 and used a normal RCD CU and used SFS's on each outlet.

Sponsored Links
I have only done one Econ10 install but if I remember correctly:
The Economy 10 service is provided as a meter with standard tails that go to a main board (for everything) and you need to use timers synchronised to the Economy 10 times to get your cheaper rate. Beware changeover to GMT/BST or you can lose out an hour of cheap rate for half of the yesr!

I think that the meter also had an offpeak only output - similar to the two tarrif service that is used for your storage rads. I didn't use this for my job (Electromax Heating System).

Suggest you ask your DNO or maybe someone on here who installs lekky meteres can say for sure.

Hello ROO, are you in your surgery today???

Thanks for that,it is slowly making sense. I will await for further advise and try and speak to the Siemens on monday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back