immersion wiring help

You are not competent to be doing any electrical work for reward....

Sponsored Links
If the E7 is separately switched & metered, and you have only one element, the only product worth fitting is the Horstmann BX2000.
That looks as if it is 'made for the job'. However, as I've said, unless there are things we're not being told, I think it would almost certainly be in the customer's interests to get rid of the E7!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If the E7 is separately switched & metered, and you have only one element, the only product worth fitting is the Horstmann BX2000.
That looks as if it is 'made for the job'. However, as I've said, unless there are things we're not being told, I think it would almost certainly be in the customer's interests to get rid of the E7!

Kind Regards, John

Agree john i have asked customer to email me bills so i can if it worth fitting.

Agree john i have asked customer to email me bills so i can if it worth fitting.
Fair enough - but if the immersion is going to be the only thing run off the 'off-peak' supply, you hardly need to see the bills - as you should understand, if that is the situation, then you should be advising the customer to get rid of the E7.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but if the immersion is going to be the only thing run off the 'off-peak' supply, you hardly need to see the bills - as you should understand, if that is the situation, then you should be advising the customer to get rid of the E7.

Kind Regards, John

I agree with you on that note, they may be adding a few sockets in kitchen as well to run appliances in the evening.

I agree with you on that note, they may be adding a few sockets in kitchen as well to run appliances in the evening.
Maybe, but they'll never make the E7 financial worthwhile by doing that. Furthermore, the worst power-guzzling appliance of all (tumble dryer) probably ideally shouldn't be run whilst one is asleep, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

You are not competent to be doing any electrical work for reward....

phatboy put a sock in it you are only competent to talk crap
People have been telling you that since you first arrived here.

Guess what.

They are right, and you are wrong. You're no more competent now than you were 5+ years ago, and I feel safe in saying you never will be.

... and fit an E7 immersion timer.
That's only any good if they have fixed off-peak period(s). If they have variable period(s), like we do at work with a radio switch*, then it won't help.

But Flamport has come up with a device designed just for the job - so it's a bit moot anyway.

* At work, we have dual-rate meters controlled by radio timeswitches. Each unit has just one supply & DB, and the switch in the meter is used to operate a contactor to turn on the heater circuits (each circuit fed via a contactor pole rather than direct off the MCB) when on off-peak rate. Interestingly, we sometimes hear them humming (and the associated clonks as they turn on and off) during the day - so either the system has gone wrong, or they've turned us on to add load to the grid.

But Flamport has come up with a device designed just for the job - so it's a bit moot anyway.
He has, and it's worth knowing about. However, as I keep saying, I think the whole thing is moot, since I believe the advice that the OP should be giving to the customer is to get rid of the E7!

KInd Regards, John

He has, and it's worth knowing about. However, as I keep saying, I think the whole thing is moot, since I believe the advice that the OP should be giving to the customer is to get rid of the E7!

KInd Regards, John

Hi John,

i will most likely advise to keep current setup if the cost of saving will not be beneficial, currently the economy 7 supply is connected to nothing so will leave it that way if there is a saving to be made then will fit the bx2000 so both supplies are fed to programmer and that will control electric to immersion. If not will advise them to stick to current setup they have and just fit a boost programmer so they use instead of keeping on constantly.

currently the economy 7 supply is connected to nothing.
Which makes no sense whatsoever - it means they'll be paying more for all the electricity they use.

Break-even "day:night" use is what - usually about 60:40?

i will most likely advise to keep current setup if the cost of saving will not be beneficial, currently the economy 7 supply is connected to nothing so will leave it that way if there is a saving to be made then ....
You seem to be missing my point in terms of what advice you probably should be giving to the customer.

If the customer is on an E7 tariff but is not using the 'off-peak' supply at all, unless they have a very strange tariff they will simply be paying a lot more for all their electricity than they would be paying if they got rid of the E7 and transferred to a standard single tariff.

Simply not using the cheap rate electricity will not make that problem go away for the customer - the customer would need to change to a different tariff (and have the off-peak meter removed) in order to reduce their electricity bills.

Kind Regards, John

currently the economy 7 supply is connected to nothing.
Which makes no sense whatsoever - it means they'll be paying more for all the electricity they use. ... Break-even "day:night" use is what - usually about 60:40?
Exactly the point I have been trying to get across, so far seemingly unsuccessfully. With my E7 tariff, the break-even point is at about 36.67% night (cheap rate) usage - so requires the average usage/hour to be a bit higher during the 7 'cheap hours' than the average usage/hour during the 17 'standard rate' hours in order to break even.

The OP seems to think that by just not using any of the cheap rate electricity, that problem will go away - but it obviously won't.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back