immersion heater timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have immersion heater on economy 7,and i what to fit a timer so it only heats up for a couple of hours each day on cheap rate as we do not use a lot of hot water.at the moment i have a boost button and a fused switch for the economy 7 both wired separately, it is 2 element cylinder top boost and bottom element economy 7, i know i can not use the economy 7 feed because its not live all the time only at cheap rate.so my question is can i use the live feed from the boost button switch for the timer is there any things need to extra,or is it just a matter of connecting the wires up from the boost switch.

regards Tom :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you have two electricity meters, one for E7 and one for 24 hours

or just one meter which switches the tariff?

If just the one, are both heaters on the same fuse or mcb?

Do you have two electricity meters, one for E7 and one for 24 hours

or just one meter which switches the tariff?

If just the one, are both heaters on the same fuse or mcb?

hi eflimpudence there is one meter switches tariff, the boost has its own 16 amp mcb and the e7 has a 20 amp mcb.

In that case you could fit a timer on either circuit depending on what you want to do.

Time the E7 to only come on for a couple of hours before you get up.
Obviously it would only be available 1130 to 7 (or whatever) -or

Time the boost so that it comes on whenever you want.

Fit the timer between the switch and immersion heater.
Make sure you get a timer rated at 16A. Some are 13A, technically ok but they do not seem to last.

Sponsored Links
In that case you could fit a timer on either circuit depending on what you want to do.

Time the E7 to only come on for a couple of hours before you get up.
Obviously it would only be available 1130 to 7 (or whatever) -or

Time the boost so that it comes on whenever you want.

Fit the timer between the switch and immersion heater.
Make sure you get a timer rated at 16A. Some are 13A, technically ok but they do not seem to last.

Hi if i use the E7 for the timer it will only work when tariff changes ,so the timer will never be right will it ?

No, sorry I forgot that bit.

You would need to power the clock.

You would need to use the 24hour supply and a timer with separate connections for the clock and what's called 'volt free' contacts for the immersion.

Like one of these -
http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/sbstuzh-sbswuzh.html[/QUOTE]

not really sure what you mean, this is the timer see what you think, is it ok or not horstmann electronic 7 can view @ horstmann.co.uk (sorry i dont know how to copy website)

Just copy the address bar and paste in your reply.

I think the Horstmann timers are suitable only if ALL your electrical supply is switched to E7 at night.
If that were the case with yours, you need only fit a normal timer to the 24 hour immersion as that, too, would be cheaper at night
(Plus they cost twice as much as the one I quoted).

It seems to me that your supply is separate between E7 and 24 hour and the cheap rate only switches on the E7 at night with the boost one being expensive at all times.
Otherwise there would be no point having two cables to two immersions.

Although, anything could have been done and I may be wrong.

Just copy the address bar and paste in your reply.

I think the Horstmann timers are suitable only if ALL your electrical supply is switched to E7 at night.
If that were the case with yours, you need only fit a normal timer to the 24 hour immersion as that, too, would be cheaper at night
(Plus they cost twice as much as the one I quoted).

It seems to me that your supply is separate between E7 and 24 hour and the cheap rate only switches on the E7 at night with the boost one being expensive at all times.
Otherwise there would be no point having two cables to two immersions.

Although, anything could have been done and I may be wrong.

yes there are separate suppys boost being 24hour E7 comes on twice once during the night and once in the afernoon.
http://www.horstmann.co.uk/water-heating.php electronic 7

No that's not suitable for your set up.

It's for one supply in which the cost changes so that you don't leave it on when dearer rate takes over. Plus a switch for during the day.

Obviously you could have it to control the E7 - so it's only on from 5 to 7am, for example, but it would not switch anything on during the day.
Bit expensive just for that.

That's the same as OP was proposing but he has separate E7 and 24hour.

OP - Don't forget that although the E7 is on for seven hours, once the water is hot the thermostat will switch it off and, if your tank is insulated it will, likely, not come on again until you run off some hot water and if after 7am it won't come on anyway.

That timer is designed for seperate peak and off peak supplies.

The 24hr supply runs the clock and the boost, and the off peak just heats ii off peak hours if the clock says it can.

I just built one of these recently for a cylinder with 2 immersions with a timer, a boost switch a relay, and some contactors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back