Changeover switching for Economy 7 immersion element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a standard water tank with a bottom element fed from the economy7 wiring, and a top, "boost " element wired to the standard wiring.
Unfortunately it's quite a small tank and if someone has a bath in the morning
there is no hot water left, and the boost only heats the top of the tank so not enough for the rest of the family/day.
I was considering ways to "Boost" the main element, but obviously, just wiring to the same element would backfeed the economy 7 wiring, and could supply a nasty surprise for someone in the future, so it seems to me, the only sensible arrangement would be to use a suitably rated double pole 2 way switch to connect either the economy 7 wiring or the normal mains to the element, or rather to the fused switch feeding the element.
I know this will work, but is there any reason I shouldn't do it that I've missed ?

Sponsored Links

The Horstmann product in the link allows you to select a 1 or 2 hour boost, then it switches back to normal off peak operation. better than other solutions that allow you to leave the heater connected to more expensive peak time lekky, should you forget to switch the boost off

Sponsored Links
You'd need a double pole change over switch. Something like THIS
Better to use the Horstmann.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I was thinking more like this, but I agree the Horstmann is preferable
That will not work. That is an on/off switch that turns on and off the line and neutral connections. That is what double pole means.
to do what you want, you need a DOUBLE POLE , CHANGEOVER switch.

That will not work. That is an on/off switch that turns on and off the line and neutral connections. That is what double pole means.
to do what you want, you need a DOUBLE POLE , CHANGEOVER switch.
It clearly says double pole, 2 way. That is the same thing. It WILL work.

This time Winston1 is right; that's why I linked to that particular switch. I wasn't asking if it would work, just if there was any reason to not use it.
Just a matter of terminology. Coming from an electronics side of things I was looking for DPDT (double pole double throw), and as mentioned in the title, was also thinking in terms of Changeover, but soon realised that "two way" was commonly used in household switch terminology, which turned up that possibility.

Hmm, I hate to say this but (this time) you may be right. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

This time Winston1 is right; that's why I linked to that particular switch. I wasn't asking if it would work, just if there was any reason to not use it.
Just a matter of terminology. Coming from an electronics side of things I was looking for DPDT (double pole double throw), and as mentioned in the title, was also thinking in terms of Changeover, but soon realised that "two way" was commonly used in household switch terminology, which turned up that possibility.

Actually I'm normally right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back