Economy 7 and storage heaters - help needed please

Sponsored Links
As posted, get the problems sorted.

Storage heaters should only run for 7hrs.
- They charge for 7hrs hence a 3.3kW has 24kW rating
- They retain 40-55% of the heat, release 60-45% over the day
- Peak internal temperature is about 690-710oC

If they run for longer.
- Per HOUR a 3.3kW will not cost 18p but 50p !
- It will get ferociously hot, the thermostatic flat that opens late in the charge period will be fully open to try to dump the heat, the air outlet grill may become dangerously hot
- Eventually the thermal fuse(s) will operate and the heater will go dead

What really worries me is that you say another flat has an electricity bill of £1000 which tallies with this scenario - except the heaters SHOULD have cut out.

Someone needs to verify 1) if the storage heaters are running >7hrs 2) and if so why the thermal cutout has not operated. Specifically, whether someone has disabled the cutout and/or removed some elements to stop it overheating, trying to turn it into a 24/7 heater (which it is not).

I can only go with what I have been told, but it does make sense that somewhere something should of gone into a meltdown situation. There are two small ones (Kitchen and Bedroom) and one large one for Livingroom which has a fan to distribute the heat from the bricks. I have been told she contacted the supplier and they have corrected the problem by adding the storage heaters to the Economy7 rate by whatever means. This should of been done when the flat was rewired. I need to contact my supplier and get mine done as it is freezing in here. I hope they don't charge to do this.

Storage heaters have a thermostat inside them so they don't overheat, only if this fails it will overheat and the thermal cutout operates.

I think you'll find that it isn't as simple as a new meter, you'll need a second consumer unit for them to connect to which only comes on when E7 is active. I can't imagine your electricity supplier adding E7 for free tbh.

Storage heaters should only run for 7hrs.
- They charge for 7hrs hence a 3.3kW has 24kW rating
Think you mean 24KWh?

Sponsored Links
If that's the case then it is back to the Council who had the flats rewired by a certain company who are no longer doing this. This company has caused problems elsewhere you only have to look at the photos I have sent. From yesterday what do you think of the other photos?

The service head looks fine to me! I can't really tell the sizes of the cables from the picture - the main earth did appear in one photo to look a bit small but that might have just been a camera trick. What is the outside diameter of the green and yellow wire linking the service head to the consumer unit?

Sounds a bit on the big side that :LOL:
Diameter as in the width - from one side of it to the other.

Think you mean 24KWh?

Yes.

Indeed, converting to E7 means...
- new CU
- supplied off a DNO-Teleswitch/Timer
- supplied off a dual-rate meter (day & night rate)

Storage heaters must be time-switched to the E7 period.
- That way they are only charging during the night-rate 5.5p/kWh
- Typical Night (E7) rate is 5.5p/kWh & Day (Peak) rate 12.8p/kWhr

Sorry that was the circumference which was 28mm so that means the diameter is 9mm does that sound right?

Still sounds a little bit big - the cable should be a 16mm² which has an OD of about 7mm. 10mm² has an OD of approx 6mm

So going back then the unit installed is a Wylex NHRS12SL and this is the wrong type?

I know the meter is two rate I made sure of that when I switched from a card type to a key.

Between the two I should have a timer? The last CU had two sections and it was clearly marked with Normal and Economy7.

Sorry to go over this but I need to get it right when I drag the Council back out here and the comments made by JohnD saying that I should be able to put a claim in sounds right.

I wouldn't say the wrong type of consumer unit completely, however it isn't suitable for E7 on its own. In order to have E7 you need the heaters on their own consumer unit separate from that one so then you have two consumer units, one normal and one E7 only.
It is possible to have both normal and E7 in a single enclosure which has two main switches, basically the same as having two CUs.
The electric board when they install E7 will sort the meter, time switch etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back