Economy 7 boiler not working- please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there! I wonder if anyone could help me with my electrics situation.

I live in a purpose-built block of flats and only have electrical heaters and an electrical boiler. My economy 7 (e7) powered immersion stopped working, causing the fuse box to trip. I have not been blessed with trustworthy plumbers as I was advised to put in a new cylinder for the simple reason that the plumber couldn't open up the cylinder to change the immersion. However since then, I have managed to find another plumber who has now changed the immersion and he showed me that the immersion had corroded away due to limescale and wear and tear, causing the fuse to trip. However he said he has no way of testing if it works until the e7 system kicks in at night. So I left the switch on and the fuse turned on too (I had switched everything off when it tripped the first time) and to my disappointment I don't think I have any newly heated up water. I can't tell exactly because my boost immersion was running yesterday. I will keep the boost off all day today to see if the e7 system heats up water. I know that the system works because my storage heaters come on at night. My questions were:
1. Is there a way to check if e7 is heating up water before I run the taps tomorrow morning and feel the water heated up?
2. If water is still not heating up, what could the problem be?

Many thanks for your time and help... :)

Sponsored Links
Check the fuse/mcb for the off peak supply is on
Check if there is a fuse in the immersion heater switch (near the cylinder) and that it is ok./

If that checks out, you'll need a multimeter and an alarm clock!

During the off-peak time you would need to test that the supply is actually being delivered to the element, through the thermostat.

There are a number of things that coiuld cause it not to work, including some plumbers not being great at making electrical connections!!

TTC thank you for your speedy reply.

All the fuses and switches are on. I think I need to test it at night. So how do I do it? Do I open up the cover (Where the thermostat is, and check if the thermostat goes up) or do I need a tester screwdriver like the ones plumbers normally have?

Thanks again!

:)

The cover is on the top of the immersion heater. But youi'll need to know where to test, and what to expect

But you'll need a MULTIMETER, or a two-probe tester, NOT a
a tester screwdriver like the ones plumbers normally have
. These are useless for doing anything but misleading the unwary, and can be dangerous. Those are only suitable for prising the top off a can of paint.

You should do this with that device

You need to be testing for the presence of live and neutral. That neon thing will not tell you that.

Sponsored Links
It is the black button on the white device at 11 o'clock NEXT to the thermostat. It is not on the stat itself.

Turn the switch off before putting your finger in there.

Edit, that cable clamp should be on the sleeving of the flex, not on the conductors! Bloomin' plumbers……...

However since then, I have managed to find another plumber who has now changed the immersion and he showed me that the immersion had corroded away due to limescale and wear and tear, causing the fuse to trip. However he said he has no way of testing if it works until the e7 system kicks in at night.

He should have carried out dead tests for insulation and earth continuity, then made a temporary connection to a peak-rate supply (possibly by extension lead) to test the thermostat operation and element function.

It is possible that an element shorting out has blown a connection somewhere, so an electrician should test the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back