Economy 7 - dead heater?

I use the wholesaler for the parts - what model heater is it, you will be able to find the colour link from that.

As I said in a previous post, the cut out can go for a few reasons - a faulty thermostat is indeed one of them. I generally change the link/reset the cut out and give it a go - if it blows again, the stat needs changing. A stat is around £12 and the link around £3.

You an change this easil yourself. the link will have a tube of lead about 3/4inch long, with two prongs each end to put into the two screws.

Sponsored Links
Legend. Absolute legend. Thankyou :)
I will definitely take the route of getting a new thermal link and installing it myself then.

The heater is a Creda Automatic 79161, I believe. Does that help in determining the colour of the thermal link?

Thanks Lectrician, and everyone who has contributed :)

Creda is dimplex - If you get stuck getting one, I can mail you one at cost.

Sponsored Links
Excellent :) Thanks Lectrician.

I'll buy one and see how I get on. Thanks for your patience and ample time on this issue. It's much appreciated :) I'll post back with my experiences on the repair soon :)

Cheers,

Lloyd

Hi guys,

I've had the fusible link sent through and it all looks good (it has a yellow splodge on the right, same as the existing one).

My last remaining question about this is that the legs on the link I've been sent are much longer (about 50% more) than the legs on the existing link. I ordered from Spares2Go (Lectrician's first hyperlink), but the existing one has much shorter legs, as in the picture in the second hyperlink.

I know it's the correct one according to Spares2Go, so is it okay to trim and bend the legs to the correct size?

Any clarification would be great :)

Thanks,

Lloyd

Here's the link I've been sent:
link1.jpg

And here's the one that looks like mine:
link2.jpg

Both are for the Creda 79161 apparently, so is bending and trimming the legs okay on the one I have?

That is a slightly different part - only th dimension - The characteristics are the same - I would bend the leg very gently.

Ah good. Thanks Lectrician.

I tried just bending the legs but it simply didn't fit into place very well, so I did some trimming of length and bending of legs, and it all seems to fit in well now :)

Tonight is test night (if I come home). I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :)

So did it heat up?? Lets hope it also will tomorrow........you could check the link to make sure it will.

Remember, this link may have surrendered due to the input stat going faulty.

Well I walked into my living room this morning and it was nice and warm for the first time in nearly a month, so it's definitely working :) It doesn't seem to be hotter than it should be, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

What I think I'll do is take the cover off next weekend and check the state of the link. As you have said, it could very well be that the input thermostat is shot; however I presume I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for all your help though Lectrician. You've saved me a lot of time and money :)

Cheers,

Lloyd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back