Economy 7 Off Peak WELL before 11!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can advise!

Moved into our flat about six weeks ago, we have night storage heating and an Economy 7 tariff.

Two strange things are happening:

1. At about 5PM each day, the heating comes on and stays on until we call it a night until whatever hour in the morning.

2. When the heating comes on a 5PM, there is often, but not always, a brief cut in power, i.e. the lights go out altogether for a second or two causing any electrical devices on in the property to cut out (i.e. the washing machine will reset itself if mid-cycle and the broadband router reboots).

I just checked the dual-rate meter, and now (just before 9PM) the indicator is pointing toward "Low".

Are we on some kind of special tariff that switches to off peak at strange hour giving us lots of off peak?

Is the teleswitch faulty?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have an interruption of supply on the non time switched supply, best bet is to phone your electricity supplier and get them to come out and have a look.

It could be just a time switch which has ended up out of sync.

The power dipping a little bit is to be expected, but if it's as bad as you say, then it would be a good idea to have the DNO come out and have a look at it.

Just had a look

It's a radio teleswitch, not a timed switch, so no timer to go out of sync, correct?

Also, I've only experienced the cut in power once so it may have been a coincidence.

Is it possible for a radio teleswitch to switch at the wrong time for any reason?

Sponsored Links
Here is my meter and teleswitch if it helps:

11102009002.jpg

11102009006.jpg

11102009011.jpg

Is it possible for a radio teleswitch to switch at the wrong time for any reason?
Teleswitches can be programmed remotely, and also switched on/off at any time.
However if it is switching at the wrong time every day, it is probably faulty.

It is normal for only the heating to be switched, the CU for the heaters would be connected to a separate terminal in the meter/teleswitch.

Fair enough.

Still, I'm happy, as long as the teleswitch isn't turning the night stores on, but leaving the meter on Peak Rate.

This is what I was worried about, the nigh store circuit being switched on at 5, but the meter not being rate switched until 11!

Although from the pic I see the little arrow is pointing at "Low", at 9PM, so I suppose this is a fault I can bear to live with :LOL:

It isn't clear in the pic but the arrow is in a little square opening in the faceplate, like the date ticker on the face of an analogue wristwatch, so I would assume it moves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back