economy 7 timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you work out how much per day an economy 7 boiler uses if the timer is knackered and it is permanently on ? my electric bill was high but working out 7 hours @ 20p and 17 hours at45p dosnt tally up to the bill . is there a way to work it out so i can claim back overpayment due to a faulty timer/boiler from my landlord ? many thanks B

Sponsored Links
If by 'economy 7 boiler' you mean a hot water cylinder fitted with an electric immersion heater, then there is no accurate answer to your question.

The heater contains a thermostat, so will only be using power while the water is below the set temperature.
Overnight, it would typically take 2-3 hours to heat up from completely cold - so even if the timer was working properly, the element would not be on for anything like 7 hours.

If the timer is broken, the element will be going on and off throughout the day as the temperature of the water changes, which will be primarily due to the hot water being used.

The worst case is that you pay for all of the electricity at day rate rather than night rate. With your figures of 45p and 20p, that's a difference of 25p, and if you require a 2 hour heating period every day, it would be about 50p per day.
A 4 hour heating period would be £1 per day.
It's not likely to be more than 4 hours per day, as that would imply you are using the entire contents of the cylinder and then having to switch the heater on in the daytime anyway.

In 2008 I lived in a flat with economy 10 electricity. The storage heaters and immersion heater would only work for 10 hours a night. The timer switch was a sealed unit owned by the elctricity company. The cost was 6p night and 33p day per kWh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back