Ecotech adjustable bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice about my system/Valliant echotec 837

Just for context – it’s a big house – 18 radiators in total. The boiler was fitted over 10 years ago, with, I think, not much concern by the fitter, either around balancing the system or the number of radiators.

So, for e.g. - We’ve always had a problem with pressure (no matter how low I start the pressure at cold, it goes very near 3 bar when hot)– which I now know (because its in black and white in the manual!) is because the internal 10l expansion vessel wasn’t big enough – because of this I’ve just fitted an external expansion vessel. This has worked well.

I balanced the system as well as I could a few years ago, using appropriate thermometers and trying to achieve a 20c drop over as many rads as possible. I say ‘as well as I could’ because its an old house (450 years!) with pipework that is a bit of a spaghetti junction – the rads don’t follow a very linear path, with, I suspect, loops being taken off at various places to feed various rooms.

Anyway – my question is around the integrated adjustable by-pass valve in the echotech 837. All the rads but one (i.e. where we have the thermostat) have TRVs. I know the purpose of the by-pass is to ensure that there is still a loop of water to circulate, should all the TRVs be closed – however, as we have one rad always open, my simple question is, can I shut off this bypass valve as much as possible? - according to the manual it can’t be shut off completely, but can go between 170 and 350 mbar. So I’d like to go for 350mbar

The reason I ask is because the overall difference between boiler flow and return is generally only about 12 C, despite most of the rads having a greater drop than this and I suspect that some of this is caused by hot water just taking a very short trip around the boiler via the bypass valve. To make the obvious point – a larger temp drop would be a good thing in terms of condensing as the return will spend more time (and a greater amount) under 55c

2 other things:

1) I have considered changing the pump speed (it has 2 speeds, so could go for the lower one), as I’m guessing this would help the temp difference – but it is a big house, so I’m worried that this will not leave enough heft to get the water properly round the system

2) I read the ideal would be to have an automatic bypass fitted – though I suspect that given the boiler has an integrated non-automatic one, this may not be possible (as how could the integrated one be bypassed or blocked?)

So my main question is – can I go ahead and shut off the bypass as much as possible, given that I have a non TRV rad in the system? But thoughts around pump speed and having an automatic bypass fitted would also be great

Thanks so much in advance

Dave

Sponsored Links
Leave it alone , I know not what you want to hear, but unless you are a professional , dont mess with it

So my main question is – can I go ahead and shut off the bypass as much as possible, given that I have a non TRV rad in the system?

No, you can't, because it's inside the room-sealing casing of the boiler, which should only be accessed by a Gas Safe Registered engineer

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies – sorry should have been clearer – I’ve no intention of removing the boiler cover myself – in a lengthy enough post, I was trying to be to the point – what I meant was ‘is it worth getting a plumber to come in and look at adjusting the bypass valve, or have I completely missed the point of what a bypass valve is, and it would be a waste of everybody’s time (and my money!)?’

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back