ecotech heat only boiler how to drain off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if there is a drain off for boiler , it is heat only , the flow and return are at the top of the boiler. i want to put 2 isolation valves on the flow and return. i can drain the whole systen down , but there will still be water in the flow and return and dont want to get any water on boiler.

Sponsored Links
22mm SELF CUTTING DRAIN OFF ADAPTOR
i was thing of putting this on the return , and draining so i can put in isolation valvees then fit tf1 filter

You shouldn't put valves on a heat only boiler. If they're left turned off and the boiler fires up, there's no internal pressure relief valve to relieve the pressure as the heat rises. This can quickly result in a steam-powered explosion

Sponsored Links
so it is not wise to fit a cleaner on he return , as i need valves to clean it.

so it is not wise to fit a cleaner on he return , as i need valves to clean it.
You don’t need valves to clean the one I have - Fernox TF1 Omega. I just switch everything off, remove the magnet from the top of the filter, wait a few seconds while any metallics sink to the bottom of the bowl then open the drain valve at the bottom of the filter and all the shyte is blown out (sealed system). I would imagine it would still flow out of it was a conventional vented system.

Edit: Reading this has prompted me to clean out my filter.

Here's my filter:

4D935716-35B7-4BA9-8C60-1E288A3FA957.jpeg

Magnet removed:

842E6050-8010-4765-BCE6-8AD0D2D984E1.jpeg

This is what came out before water started running clear - about a cupful of fluid:

E920FC74-BB94-49AF-9265-A8F40AEA702F.jpeg

After I’d swirled the magnet around in the drained fluid, I wiped it on a cloth:

2D982E3A-8777-41CC-B1F1-5D594FE4BCC5.jpeg

And that’s it - about 6 months worth of magneticy stuff from my system.

Last edited:
one i have i close valve, take out ,remove magnet and all debris drops off, i imagine i am getting all the sludge etc... out.

one i have i close valve, take out ,remove magnet and all debris drops off, i imagine i am getting all the sludge etc... out.

Is your magnet inside the filter or accessible from outside like mine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back