drain off heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to drain off my mums heating systen as shes wants 4 new rads adding to her system im ok with plumbing but theres no drain off valve in the house anywere not even under the boiler its self i shes having lots of work done on the house so the system will be off for a few weeks as not living there

Sponsored Links
So I'm guessing you are wanting to know alternative ways of draining?

You could shut off both valves to a downstairs radiator, drain that rad and remove. Then place a tail of copper into each of the valves and attach some hosepipe to the copper tails leading to outside, and open the valves to drain.

If the radiators downstairs are all on drops, you will have to do this to each one individually.

Are you sure there are no combined lockshield/drain off valves anywhere?

Have a look around outside the house, sometimes the drain off has been
taken directly outside.

If no drain off then remove a radiator and drain directly from the rad valve.

When empty you can fit a drain cock for use in the future

You could get yourself one of those self-cutting washing machine water valves, and fit that as a drain off.
13768_P

Once you have drained the system, remove the self-cutting valve, and the short secton of pipe it has mangled, and fit a proper draincock in it's place

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back