Draining system with EcoTech boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a brand new Valliant EcoTech boiler and I'm going to add a rad for the downstairs Loo.

I know there is a section dedicated to draining a system but I just want to double check (I'd hate to knacker my new boiler!).

To drain system do I simply turn the boiler off and drain at lowest rad or do I have to shut off the flow and return as well on the boiler?

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
as long as the boiler stays off until the system is properly filled, it makes little difference

With the mains off at the boiler you cannot damage it by draining from the lowest rad point.

However, when re-filling you must observe the correct purging procedure for the EcoTec.

Sponsored Links
I thought we just filled it up as usual.

No.
Ecotecs don't have a high bleed valve.

So you need to follow the filling and bleeding procedure which will be in your instructions. (One or two of the 'P' programs).
If you don't you could be leaving air in your boiler.

If your still not sure, I would advise you get someone who knows how to do this.

Andy.

Hold the '+' button down whilst turning the power on. Keep it pressed down until 'P 0' appears then release.

Press the minus button once and 'P 6' will appear. Press the 'i' button then fill the boiler as normal.

'P 6' sits the DV in mid position to fill both circuits.

Once done and bled, turn off boiler and repeat above, except this time when 'P 0' appears press the 'i' button.

The boiler will then self purge. Once finished go round and bleed your rads again. top up pressure to about 1.2Bar then use as normal.

Thats brilliant, thanks Gas4You.

I've read the manual but its not great. I'll follow your instructions!
In the manual I understand everything except...

'Bleed the heating pump by loosening the central screw'
and
'loosen the cap of the pump AAV'

Neither of these have pictures or any further instructions on how to do them!

In your case you shouldn't need to bleed the pump, but if you do it is the silver 3/4" ish screw in the middle of the pump.

The aav should also already be undone, but again if not it is on the top of the 'black bottle' looking item behind and above the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back