Edge Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

While planning to refurbish my bedroom I really like the idea of installing some coving which can be fitted with LED strip lighting. I've seen it done by people to create some 'mood' lighting in the room, but can it work as the main source of light for the room?
my main concerns would be whether the indirect light is really sufficient enough to light the whole room, or is that just out of the question?

Something like this:

51dhRBLCarL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Sponsored Links
Many years ago my father-in-law to be built an extension and used concealed lighting using fluorescent lamps, and yes it worked well, I have also seen it in airports, but the main thing is how high is the ceiling as it is basic an up light reflecting from the ceiling, and colour of walls and ceiling is clearly important.

LED lamps are broadly divided into two groups, decoration, and lighting, some decoration lighting is very inefficient, but easy to see which it is as by law lighting has to give both watts and lumen, so if not showing marked watts and lumen it is decoration like Christmas lights.

can it work as the main source of light for the room?
Yes.

You will need LEDs suitablely rated for the light output that's appropriate for the room size and decor.
They will need to be attached to a metal channel which is typically plastered into the wall, the metal acts as a heatsink and prevents the LEDs overheating.

I got some Smart LED stick on lights from Lidi, 2 meters long, they are actually used at the minimum output in my display cabinet as too bright on any other setting, however there are no details as to lumen output, with that or most other units, the 1 meter Ikea units I have at Max are around same as Lidi as Min, and this is the problem, until bought and tested you have no idea of light output.

The Lidi unit has a high k (very white) and low k (redish) LED close to each other, setting the colour temperature is not that good when you can see the LED's only when reflected from something, again nothing tells you how it works.

The two from Ikea one colour changing and one white, can't be set to match, colour changing version is much cooler.

The Lidi unit comes with a link to join them up, upload_2021-7-18_9-25-26.png but I have found no rating to say how many can be linked, it says output 12 volt 2 amp 24 watt total used by adaptor and light strip 22 watt so would seem can't be linked as power supply not big enough for two. Maybe I will plug them into energy monitor and test latter.

Since used at lowest setting not a clue on heat.

Sponsored Links
I out of interest measured power used by Lidi light strip, around 3 watt fully dimmed, and 22 watt maximum output, and swinging between colour temperatures has no effect.

Just a note of caution ...
If you have your light source close to the surface (in this case, the ceiling), then it really shows up all imperfections. Lit from a larger angle, then you don't see them, then shine a light along the surface and you find what you thought was a smooth and flat ceiling is more like a 3d model of the Alps :rolleyes:

Just a note of caution ...
If you have your light source close to the surface (in this case, the ceiling), then it really shows up all imperfections. Lit from a larger angle, then you don't see them, then shine a light along the surface and you find what you thought was a smooth and flat ceiling is more like a 3d model of the Alps :rolleyes:

I did wonder that, planning to have the ceiling replastered anyway so should be ok (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back