Edging grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just to say straight away, I’m not a gardener in any way! I am in the process of putting some treated timber flower beds down. I was just wondering if I can put down weed membrane on the grass (I didn’t dig it up before laying the timber. Hindsight and all that), and then putting top soil on top of the membrane or do I need to remove the grass that’s there? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 9476D2B8-49A5-4B7F-BC25-DDC55E180ACA.jpeg
    9476D2B8-49A5-4B7F-BC25-DDC55E180ACA.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 6EAAE682-E0F0-4D74-9E43-5DB92611E74B.jpeg
    6EAAE682-E0F0-4D74-9E43-5DB92611E74B.jpeg
    546 KB · Views: 55
  • 88043DCF-1D92-41E3-AC85-5C300D3593F9.jpeg
    88043DCF-1D92-41E3-AC85-5C300D3593F9.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Don't put membrane down, your plants will need to get their roots down into the soil.
You could lift the turf and flip it over (won't take long)
Or you could put down a good layer of cardboard and then fill with soil.
Are you going to have a back to the bed? I wouldn't be keen having soil piled against the fence.

I'm not a garden designer but you've just made your long narrow garden even narrower :censored:

It's not easy to guage the width of your garden but i'll take a punt on 20' wide - if you have measurements it'd be helpful.
Are you prepared to put in a little more work?
Don't just slap a bed on top of the grass, as scbk says the plants need a depth of soil for roots and, as important, drainage. If you lay soil directly on top of grass the water will collect and leave the area sodden.
Are you willing to rearrange the path to leave a wider area for the flower bed, rather than lay it along the fence...and how far down are you going with it?

If you curve the path with an 'S' shape it will give a curve for the flower bed to fit in and provide an interesting meander through the area, or a series of --|--|-- slabs laid in a set of steps to give a bit of height; not much, maybe 6" or so. It all depends on your budget and willingness to use a bit of imagination before you begin the job. No matter how small a space it is, you can make the most of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back