Edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of doing up the garden. I had planned to put some plastic edging, the ones with spikes along this area to put some flowers etc in but I got them and they are rubbish. I have decided to go with 6 inch treated timber. I’m planning on running a string line and putting pegs in and screwing the timber to them. My question is, do I need to dig up the area or can I lay directly on the grass (levelling if necessary). I will be putting membrane down obviously. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7E5FE9E0-119C-48E5-8509-5CF1278D4145.jpeg
    7E5FE9E0-119C-48E5-8509-5CF1278D4145.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 574F9CF2-F89F-4101-BB29-3B2F6B02F4D5.jpeg
    574F9CF2-F89F-4101-BB29-3B2F6B02F4D5.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Personally I think a narrow straight border like that would be a waste of time & boring. I use 4mm perspex strips about 4 inch wide & just bury it along the edge of the grass to the mowing level. You can then have curves & different widths along the border which would look a lot better. I suppose it depends whether you want to have shrubs or just a few bedding plants, but if that is the case you might just as well have them in pots.

Personally I think a narrow straight border like that would be a waste of time & boring. I use 4mm perspex strips about 4 inch wide & just bury it along the edge of the grass to the mowing level. You can then have curves & different widths along the border which would look a lot better. I suppose it depends whether you want to have shrubs or just a few bedding plants, but if that is the case you might just as well have them in pots.
Thanks but not really what I was asking appreciate it though.

Sponsored Links
If you don't dig it out then you're limiting the depth.
What kind of membrane? If it's permeable then going shallow won't be too much of a problem as the bed can draw water from the topsoil below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back