Edinburgh...any gas guys help with this job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In Edinburgh, I called quite a few gas engineers yesterday and only one turned up( I was out for 20 mins at the time !!) I guess this job is not profitable enough ...I need to have a new gas boiler fitted.
I bought a new regular boiler..Worcester greenstar 24 to replace a Baxi WM 38, I have removed the old Baxi, the gas and flow/return pipes are tidy and blanked off....does anyone want to fit up the new boiler for me? possible this weekend ?
I am building a new extension and living in the house/building site so it would be really good to have some hot water.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I would be charging about £740 in my local area. Is that about what you expected?

Why are you replacing an 11.14 kW boiler with a 24 kW boiler. On what scientific basis has that been chosen?

What advantage do you think you have gained by buying the boiler yourself?

Tony

I have a builder/plumber who is doing all the work and I buy all the materials, so I bought all building matrials and plumbing gear.
I don't think he is competent to fit the boiler as he is not as experienced as I was led to believe so that is where I am.
I am a single dad trying to do too much on a shoestring, if money is no issue then life is simple

Sponsored Links
He is an illegal if he is undertaking gas or boiler installation work when unregistered.

Quite apart from the risk of dangerous work he will not be able to register the installation.

Being a single dad implies children! Do you really want to place them at risk from an illegal installation???

I am looking for someone to do the gas installation and testing, I want a gas engineer to connect up the gas and then test the running of the system.
I am doing the simpler safer side of connecting up the water and condensate lines then fitting the boiler to the wall.
I will be dry fitting all the pipe work as it will need removed from the wall to connect to the gas at the rear port.
I am not finding it easy to get anyone to take it on, it should be fast and simple for a gas safe person to connect and test this new system out.

With respect, it would have been better to find a RGI before buying the kit. Some of us only fit certain boilers.

Edinburgh, like Glasgow was packed with good gas engineers when other UK cities were short, so I'd imagine there's even more about now. You may be struggling if you're punting for them to do gas work with you rather than for you.

is it the greenstar combi? that would answer agile's question which you didn't mention (sorry mate didn't want to step on your toes but the customer still never answered)
so basically you want some one in edinburgh to come and commision a boiler that has been installed by yourself without any confirmation of system cleansing, the source of materials used, or the quality of the workmanship?

If yes is the answer no wonder you can't get anyone, people dont have a problem with customers buying the boiler but only if they understand labour for installation of such is chargeable and the installation is upto their standards, in your area i would be guessing proper installation and commisioning would be around the 6 to 7 hundred mark dependant on the work required.
if you have done most of it yourself I personnaly would steer clear remember we are the experts who make a living from this!!

Thanks for the advice, as I said I am just dry fitting the water pipes, fitting mounting brackets...simple donkey work to save on experts time to do the important work

Sounds like a job for Dick Puller !

There's is many reasons it will not be our artisans that'll be doing this job;
1) We don't 'fit only' anything.
2) We don't 'sign off' anything.
3) It's a Worcester Tupperware Bosch.
4) It's in Endinburger.
5) The OP has not given enough information.
6) If some chancer has done the system it'll leak like a sieve.
And guess who'll get the call when the boiler loses pressure?
7) It sounds as if the boiler is nicked.
8) We can't be bothered with wee jobs like this, where there's no profit.

I hope you get sorted mate.

Remind all...I am here looking for a gas engineer to do this work, not attempting to fit up the gas side.
The old boiler has been removed, the 2 water pipes and one gas pipe are blanked off, the new boiler mounting plate has been fitted, the hole has been made in the correct position through the walls, all of that work was simple, taking 2 hrs

why would you assume it is stolen? I bought this boiler (and flue kit) at trade price for a local supplier, it is simple, you should try it sometime.

This is a straight forward boiler swap on to a system that has been checked anually and was working fine with no leaks of water or gas, surely any decent gas safe fitter could get that up and going in quick time?

This is a regular boiler not a combi, any water pressure loss would be by a leaking pipe connecton at a compression fitting..1 minute to find it 1 minute to tighten ??
if internal to the boiler then the warranty will cover it.
Yes, gas must be checked to ensure no leaks and the boiler runs as designed, how long can that possibly take?
£700 for fitting and testing..how many hours work would that be on average? 4? £175 per hour, £28,000 per month....

Tired of this now.

Being a gas fitter is an expensive business.

When fitting a boiler we have to make a certain margin. If you go out and buy a boiler, the installer will still need the same margin. So you haven't saved anything, which I guess is what youfind exasperating.

A restuarant has overheads, and they would not give you a discount if you collected the vegetables. Like us, they get materials delivered for nothing.

Round my way (Kent/Surrey), if you look hard enough you will find someone who will do what you want. But they wouldn't be of a calibre that I would employ in my company. I imagine you are expecting to slip someone £300 cash and get the job gas work notified......

OP, your not allowed to fit the jig to the wall, so any RGI would have to remove it and re-fit.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back