Edwardian conservatory roof fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in the next few weeks I will be fitting an Edwardian conservatory to my bungalow, the bungalow gable end has plastic cladding on top of the old wood cladding, this makes the area where the conservatory roof goes stick out further by 55mm, im looking for the easiest route that will give least trouble in the future, my questions are:-

1) Should I pack out the main conservatory by 55mm to line up with the plastic above and just try and seal the roof to the plastic?
2) If this route is ok what is the best product to seal the roof to the plastic?
3) Somebody has advised its best to cut away the cladding by 150mm from the top of the roof and then lead flash into the brick. But then I’m not sure how to finish the 150mm gap between the cut plastic cladding and top of the roof?
4) could i just cut the plastic cladding close to the roof and just tuck the lead under the cladding and form it down onto the roof.?
5) Or has somebody a different method ?

cheers
[youtube][/youtube]

Sponsored Links
Each time I read your post I come up with a different idea of what it is you are describing.

If you upload a photo of the gable wall you are going to attach the conservatory to, your questions may become clearer.

Each time I read your post I come up with a different idea of what it is you are describing.

If you upload a photo of the gable wall you are going to attach the conservatory to, your questions may become clearer.

uploaded image hope it helps........cheers

I would be looking at item 4 in your list. It should result in a neat and tidy flashing. Perhaps you could mark on the photo the anticipated line of the conservatory roof so that we get an idea of what is left ? You would need to tuck the flashing into place before the conservatory roof actually gets in the way then temporary fold back until you are ready to dress it down over the conservatory roof member. Securing the cut ends of the cladding so it is neat would be my only concern

You may even want to remove the underlying timber cladding in the same area if you don't want to see it inside the conservatory.

I'm guessing you will have a triangle of conservatory roof over the patio doors that leaves very little cladding (if any) on the left, and a large area to the right. (My clue is you put 2 bricks where you are thinking of doing the walls ;) )

What appearance to you want inside the conservatory on the gable wall?

The only cladding/conservatory image I could find is as this Example

Sponsored Links
Thanks, have marked on the pic, roof line, i would be intending to cut the cladding back to the breeze block underneath both the plastic and wooden cladding, the blocks are 55 mm back from the face of the plastic, so as you suggest i would have to try and keep as close as possible to the roof line and try and hide any visible gap by sticking something over it , inside the roof i would get it plastered or just put up the cladding removed earlier.

That marked up picture gives a much better idea of the problems you will face. I would not be suprised if the small bits of cladding on the left come loose due to the lose of fixings on the underlying timber cladding. If that should happen then you simply need to refix when the position of conservatory roof member has been finalised. At least you will also be able to fit the lead at the same time. Keep an open mind about how you deal with any loose cladding. I was thinking that the bit on the left may even be easier to refit onto a small frame so it can go back as one piece.

That cladding vertainly adds to the challenge, but cutting it back so that internally you no longer have it, will I am sure, improve the appearance no end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back