Edwardian/Victorian Roll Tops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom "funny place for it I know" I have a Edw/Vict Cast Iron Roll top Bath with the Claw and Ball feet. We are having our bathoom completely re-done as its the size of matchbox and the bath is miles to big for the room. I was just going to throw a sledge hammer at it cos I don't fancy dragging it down the stairs, but the plumber reckons that it could have a re sale value, but I am not sure. I have looked at various internet sites and some sites sell them for £7000 and some sell them for £450. Ours needes re-enamaling at a cost of £350. Do you think it is worth re-enamaling "can't spell that word" to sell for a better price or leave it :LOL: as it is or just forget the whole idea and smash it up.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother to re-enamel it, you have to send it away, wait a few weeks, you get it back and have to keep it safe, find a buyer
which at a good price might take a while, I'd just put on flea-bay, buyer collects or maybe 20 quid scrap.
when I look at what to do with ours I'm sure one or more of the re-enamel companys will buy it from you,
try a google on "re-enamel baths" or "enamel baths", you might get £450 just for a phone call.

Or if you just want it out & gone, then put it on your local Freeycle group on the condition that they come round with several strong men to remove it.

People will for a free one.

Sponsored Links
chirpy - 'cos it's upstairs use a block & tackle to guide it down if you want to keep it in one piece. Also try to remove the feet before you begin as they'll foul on the steps on the way down; if you can't get the feet off turn the bath upside down to gain a 'smooth' surface so it can slide. I've used this method loads of times when doing conversions in the 70's. It reminds me of one occasion when the rope on the block & tackle snapped when the bath had just begun it's slow journey down. The bath accelerated out of control snapping every single decorative turned spindles, gouging a great lump out the newell post and smashing partly through the wooden hall floor ... a real hoot looking back but not much fun at the time. Subsequently, we always checked the condition of the rope, etc. There will be a value to the old item, especially if it has a good form, so a few call might be in order, but if you are going to scrap it break it before removal (wear goggles).

I've just checked some old paperwork which shows it used to cost us £150 to get a decent bath re-enamelled (in the 1970's) but now it costs about £800. A choice reclaimed roll top can cost £1300 to £3500. So do the maths ... is it worth re-enamelling & selling on, or selling to a decent reclamation yard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back